Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to Dubai!

Yes, I'm back in Dubai and the above cartoon is some sort of indication about how I feel. I've been back a little under a week now and to say I have the post-holiday blues is like calling a suicidal person grumpy. I'm just not happy to be back!!
Yes, Dubai is where my work is and my family as well as my home. I have made some amazing friends here over the years and considering my family has been based here since before I was born, Dubai has always been a home base for me. Yet, I somehow feel like I don't truly fit in here. Don't get me wrong- while in New York it's not like I didn't miss being able to drive around rather than taking smelly cabs, or I didn't miss not having to wait an hour over our reservation time for a table at a new "in" restaurant. I love the perks and the life Dubai has to offer, but while I will very quickly get adjusted to the city and maybe even live here quite happily, New York is where I truly feel alive!! Sometimes I wonder if it's New York that I love or whether it's just being away from Dubai.. I'm still figuring that one out.
I won't bore you further with my melancholy, so let me tell you about my trip... Aah, my trip! I always have an incredible time in the city and have written, repeatedly in fact, on my love for it. You'd think 2 months would make that love wane and fade a little? Not in the least! While I always head out there for extended periods of time each summer, there was something about my trip this year that was life changing. No, nothing happened, I didn't go off and have some major epiphany or my life didn't change in some drastic way. And no, if you're a friend of mine and wondering, let me save you the call- I didn't "meet" anyone! I think I was just truly in the moment and decided that I would have the time of my life, and that's exactly what happened. I partied and shopped like the end of the world depended on it, I walked around the city in awe and wonder and truly loved every second of it, and even when I decided to stay in, I'd look out at the gorgeous view from my apartment and truly be grateful for that perfect sight at that perfect moment. My trip wouldn't have been half as amazing if it wasn't for my NY friends- existing ones and new ones. I think I got to meet so many more new people this trip, and I loved meeting and getting to know them all. Since I'm sort of a recluse in Dubai, it was so refreshing to go out and interact with different sorts of people, one more ridiculously intelligent, funny and fun than the other! While I'm a permanent fixture at any given coffee shop in Dubai on any given day, I absolutely loved being social in NY, and it just so is unlike me. I got to spend some quality time with my best friend Payal too, which was nice since she's been crazy busy. Her husband and loving in laws have always made me feel welcome at their home in the suburbs, and I packed my bags quite a few times this trip and headed on over for some much needed TLC.
In all of this, I must admit, blogging was the last thing on my mind. I'm pretty good at blogging while I'm in Dubai and I promise to get back on track and blog much more now that I'm here. But I'm sure you will understand that I was just too damn busy having way too much fun and any posts that I would put up would be more "forced" than anything else. But I didn't forget you guys when I was gone! I have tons of fun stuff to post on, including a lot of recommendations for places to go to in NYC. And maybe I'll give you guys a sneak peak into some of my shopping too!
Hope you all had an ab fab summer, and hopefully you aren't having the blues as bad as me. Or maybe you've already dealt with them, in which case tips are most welcome! K time to go back and cry some more into my pillow....
Xx
Kiran

5 comments:

Diva Times said...

Great fun post! Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Most of all because I feel the exact same way, only when I head to London! It's this sense of 'freedom' while you walk on the streets; not quite sure how to explain it. I would say it's a mix of being away from Dubai as well as being in NYC (or London in my case). At the end of the day though, Dubai will always be 'home' ;-)

Kiran Chhabria said...

I love getting lost in the crowd too and the sense of freedom from not having to worry about who you bump into!
Interesting blog btw! Will check it out in detail when I get some time

Diva Times said...

:-) I'm in the process of changing the blog around (hence not having written any posts since June!!!); the idea was to promote products, services, and events that exist in the UAE that I feel people would love to hear about! Want to make it a little more edgy so feel free to subscribe so you can read the next post once the blog has been updated ;-) - the FB page (http://www.facebook.com/DivaTimes) is up-to-date though so you can 'like' it if you feel like checking that out too.

PS, you still tend to bump into people in London funny enough! I think it's about just being able to be who you truly are without the feeling that you're being judged the whole time.
PPS, looking forward to the iphone 4S!

T S Jayan said...

hi,

could you kindly inform me back whether Sony A77 camera available in Dubai or not?

Kiran Chhabria said...

Please call 800-JUMBO or visit www.jumbocorp.com for info on all the products and services available

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails