Thursday, January 06, 2011

At Home in Emirates Hills

If you guys follow my blog regularly, you'll have noticed a slight lull in my posting over the past few weeks. However, my blog was not completely forgotten as I partied myself into the new year.. I had a few ideas I wanted to implement and waited till the New Year to get them going. One of these was to expand on my "Design Corner" theme and showcase some of the beautiful homes that I've seen in Dubai as well as on my travels abroad. A lot of people are probably a bit hesitant while opening their homes up to be photographed, and I knew I'd have to do a bit of arm twisting to get that to happen so I decided to pick an easy target for my first home review- I zoned in on my eldest sister.
My sister Bhavika Godhwani has studied Interior Design while at College in India, so when she decided to buy and do up her own house in Emirates Hills, I knew she would be involved a 100% in getting it just right to her tastes. Her home is a beautiful mix of contemporary and classic, and the palette of neutral hues in her main living room is highlighted by the gorgeous pieces of art her husband has collected from Indian Masters like M F Hussain, Souza, Sakti Burman, Jaideep Mehrotra, etc. My sister is constantly changing things around and recently just redid her Master Bedroom upstairs, which unfortunately she didn't let me photograph. She deemed her personal gym, my nephew's playroom, the TV room and her kids and her bedrooms upstairs, as well as a Home theater and game room downstairs, all as off limits to me, so here are some pictures of the rest of her home-
Her living room is covered with beautiful Persian rugs that adds a classic flavour to her mostly contemporary furniture. Parts of her walls are covered in a Mother-of-Pearl type treatment, with her ceilings painted a brushed gold to add a hint of grandeur. 
Her baby Grand Piano is my favourite piece to run to whenever I visit, as I've recently been taking piano classes and have been making do with a Casio Keyboard at home!
The Dining Area, where she does a lot of her entertaining, is where she hangs one of my most favourite pieces of art in her home- a large painting of Hussain's horses. I also LOVE her sculpted candles that you can possibly see on the right, as well the large Buccellati center piece that sits on her dining table.
 
The informal lounge downstairs has a darker colour scheme which is complimented with an interesting Buddha painting by Baiju Parthan as well as a Ralph Lauren bar.
My sister has collected artifacts from all over the world and she still loves shopping for her home and adding to her collection. Some of her favourite pieces are from Daum, Lalique, Lotus Arts de Vivre (pictured below) and Buccellati (also pictured below).
Hope you guys enjoyed taking a peek into this lovely home. I promise you guys a lot of interesting pictures and posts just like this going forward!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails