Monday, March 22, 2010

Profile on... Vandana Bhatia

One of my first memories of Vandana is from London, a couple of years back. I was at her house visiting her brother, who is one of my closest friends, and being December, we were taking refuge from the weather and defrosting indoors. I had gone to London armed with my latest winter fashions from Dubai (big mistake!) including my first ever fur jacket (rabbit- I don't think I even knew what chinchilla was then) and my new boots. I remember my white jacket shedding all over their car and their couch, and Vandana looking horrified as I took off my boots to reveal white sports socks underneath. "Sweetie, don't wear white socks unless you're in the gym," she'd said kindly, as I sat slouched on her couch. Vandana on the other, even in the comfort of her living room, was perfectly poised, impeccably stylish and impossibly put together. She'd been great company that trip and I'd discovered was funny, intelligent and sweet... yet something about the way she carried herself had left me very intimidated.

Years later, when Vandana got married and moved to Dubai, we'd once met over lunch where she'd complained about being bored here, and not having much to do. "You REALLY need to do something related to fashion," I'd counseled   her. Vandana was then, without realizing it, the talk of the town, and her fashion choices were discussed, dissected and lusted after in social circles, long after she was gone. "No way," she'd said, till I'd narrated to her, down to the last detail, an outfit she'd worn to a lunch the week before.. which I hadn't attended. Vandana hardly has time to be bored these days, as she's been planning her second trunk show for her lifestyle brand Odyssey, which she's set up with her friend and business partner, Lyla. She was also recently selected by Burberry to be styled for their latest 3D fashion show, and was nominated by Harper's Bazaar as one of their best dressed women in the Middle East. The way I see it, she's only just begun, and was my natural choice to be the first profile I did on my blog.

A few days back I chatted with her about my first memory of her and her comment on my socks. "Noooo.. i did not say that," she sounded mortified and apologetic over the phone. "Don't worry," I laughed, "I thought it was funny and besides, I still do it," I'd said. "Oh in that case, it's ok I guess," she politely said, her voice thick with disapproval.

My Fave Brand... Just one?! Errr.. Right now Sass and Bide for Rock Chic separates though this will probably change next week!
High Street store I wouldn't be caught dead in... New Look
The one thing I'm lusting after now is.. a Bea Valdes Boudicca Necklace
The pride and joy of my wardrobe/handbag selection/jewelry box is... A Balenciaga dress (Valentine's gift)/my convenient Bon Bon bag from my trunk show/ Van Cleef and Arpels necklace- a gift from my hubby!
The most obnoxious item I own is... my Ostrich Kelly in Taupe
The non-celeb whose wardrobe I'd love to own is... my best friend, Olga's (picture below with Vandana and her husband, Vikram, during their wedding celebrations)
The celeb I'd love to give a makeover is... Love her, but Paris Hilton!
Do check out the latest Odyssey Trunk Show at the Capital Club, DIFC on Wednesday, 24th March 2010.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails