Monday, February 07, 2011

Book Review- A Fine Balance

I'm constantly on the lookout for good books to read and am always asking friends for book recommendations. I like books that are gripping and engrossing, and ask my friends, while suggesting titles, to give me names of books they just couldn't put down. A close friend of mine highly recommended this book and raved about it's story, it's historical relevance (the story takes place in India under the reign of Indira Gandhi) and most of all, how well written it was. My best friend seconded that opinion and told me she too thought A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry was one of the best books she too had ever read. I then, of course, had expected to love it.
When I started to read it however, instead of the "I can't put this book down" type of feeling I was accustomed to with good books, I was most happy to put the book away between readings. I can honestly say, this has been one of the slowest reads I've ever gone through, and it isn't even because I was savoring the contents... but to be honest, it's not because I hated the book either. I, for the life of me, can't figure out what about this book took me MONTHS to finish. However once I'd gone through half of the book, the rest half zipped by over few days. I think it just took way too long for the characters to develop and for their story to merge and begin.
The story revolves around 4 main protagonists- Dina, a 40- something poor widow who is trying to make ends meet; Om and Ishvar who are two tailors who have come from the village in hopes of making some money in the big city and Maneck, a young college student who comes from a quiet world in the hills. The book follows these four through their adventures and their misfortunes, as misfortunes is what this book is all about. India is going through a time of corruption and crisis under the Emergency, which is not only the backdrop for the happenings in their lives, it almost is the fifth, more silent protagonist of this story. There are problems in the country, and consequently in the lives of the characters, no matter which way you turn- like I said, the book is all about misfortune, and it seems just when the slightest glimmer of happiness is returning to the characters in the book and their stories, their situation (as a direct result of the Emergency) is again brought back to misery and defeat. Some reviewers that I've read say that the characters come to life in the book... while I agree that a lot of effort (almost half the novel, as I mentioned before) has been made to define the characters, I just feel like they are still not developed enough, if only for the constant cloud of gloom that hangs over their heads.
If I am confusing you with my review, it only is because A Fine Balance is one of those rare books I'm very confused about- I can't really tell what my feelings about it are! I'm really glad I read it, but while I think it's one of the most well written books I've read, I can't really say I loved it.. if that makes any sense. Lets put it this way- If you like reading Oprah Book Club reads, which this also happens to be, this book is a must buy. If however, you, like me, don't like reading heavy, depressing books (which I find most of Oprah's recommendations to be) or are the type who ponders about the misery and unfairness of life, this book might really bring you down. If you're on antidepressants and need prozac to get out of bed in the morning, I suggest you stay far, far away from A Fine Balance . The end will make you want to rip your heart out. If you want a piece of literature that's just really well written or want to read more about the dirt and poverty in India, really, look no further!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails