Monday, February 21, 2011

Book review- Immortals of Meluha

My friend Soniyaa was recently raving about the book, 'The Immortals of Meluha.' "I can't put it down," she exclaimed excitedly, "and I'm sure you'll just love it too!" After going from bookstore to bookstore in Dubai, I was unsuccessful in finding the book, and Soniyaa promised me she'd bring it back for me the next time she visited India. Luckily for me, she made a trip over the following few weeks, and I was able to figure out what the fuss was all about.
The Immortals of Meluha is one of the best books I've ever read, it's that plain and simple. I read it over the span of 24 hours, and I literally could not put the book down. It isn't one of the best written books I've read- far from it really, and neither is the story the most gripping I've encountered. What I did absolutely love however, is the way the book has simplified by fictionalizing Indian mythology, and the story of Lord Shiva. For those interested in Hindu mythology, or Hindus wanting to understand more about their religion or the origin of certain words and customs, this book will give you invaluable insight into the same.
Based in the 1900 BC, the story is a fictional account of Shiva, a Tribal leader who moves his tribe from the foothills of Mount Kailash to the perfect land of Meluha, a city built on the teachings of Lord Ram. The book, the first in a series of 3 (the other 2 are yet to be published) follows Shiva from when his destiny is first apparent to others around him, to when he falls in love with Sati (Parvati) to when he slowly starts to realize his own greatness. (Women beware: you WILL fall in love with him on reading this book!) I'm quite curious to do more research on the historical facts as laid out by the authour, Amish, as I'm sure a lot of creative liberty has been taken while trying to fictionalize the story line. Also, the colloquial dialogue as used in the book did not really appeal to me at all, and I read another reviewer write that the dialogue read as a film script- it does. Not a very well written one that too. As I said however, the book is SO much more than the quality of it's writing, and hopefully the second and third books in the Trilogy will be much better edited, while retaining it's fascinating storyline.
I can't recommend this book enough to those who, like me, are interested in reading more about Lord Shiva or Hindu Mythology in general. I promise you, it'll be one of the best books you've read. For those who have no interest on those subjects, steer clear of this one!
Check out the first chapter of Immortals of Meluha here and check out the promotional video of the book too-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been also trying to get this book ever since I read the first chapter in the website.. No idea where to get it.. Any guidance from your side will be appreciated..

Kiran Chhabria said...

Hi Subeesh, I'm guessing you mean in Dubai? I think it is available at Illuminations at JBR.. Email them at info@illuminationsworld.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails