Thursday, February 24, 2011

Loving my new Kindle!

On my most recent trip to the US, I ordered over the most recent version of the much-loved Kindle e-book reader from the Amazon site. For those who don't know what a Kindle is, it's the Electronic book (and document) reader from Amazon.com that lets you read without hurting your eyes. It does this by using technology called E-Ink technology, that comes on a digital device, but looks just like paper. On first looking at the device for the first time, you may even be fooled into thinking you are looking at a sticker stuck on a panel. The advantage of using a device like this is that unlike the iPad or a computer or mobile screen, the Kindle doesn't spoil the eyesight. Another advantage for voracious readers is that since the Kindle only consumes battery while turning pages, it doesn't use any power while being static on a page and hence can last for hundreds of page turns and won't need to be charged through a weekend away or long plane rides. With the wireless turned off, Amazon claims the Kindle lasts for about one month on a single charge. The Kindle moreover, holds thousands of books (amazon claims up to 3,500) so you can read various books and jump around them as it allows you to bookmark the pages on all the ones you're currently perusing. 

I, being a typical lover of books, love the feel of opening up and cracking the spine of a new book to read. Yet, I find in Dubai a lot of the books I want to buy are not easily available, or take time to finally get in. I'm constantly amazed with the variety of books that are available on the Kindle, and some obscure ones like on Spirituality or Business that even Kinokuniya at Dubai Mall (my most favourite bookstore!) may not have, will be available in Ebook format on the Kindle Store. I also love the Kindle for having a lot of the Classics, like my favourite Jane Austen, available free to download from the Kindle Store. I've had 2 Kindles since they've first been launched and had vowed after my last one, to not buy another till they didn't come out with a coloured version. The new Kindle however has one distinct feature that tempted me into succumbing to its charms- the fact that it has WiFi and 3G. Yes, it's lighter, faster, brighter, etc (the photograph I took below, is the size of it in comparison to a CD.. it also weighs as much as one!) but the Wireless capability of it remains it's most amazing feature. On my old Kindle DX, I could download a book on my computer via the Kindle store, but still had to sync it via a cable onto my Kindle device. I can now just turn wireless on in over 100 countries worldwide, and have whatever book I want sent via 3G to me in moments.


To clarify, the 3G Kindle does NOT ship to the UAE as it has obviously not signed up to be on the list of the countries where the Kindle does work. However, once you have the Kindle with you, you CAN download book via 3G on the device without any issues. You can also read the books you buy from the Kindle store on your Kindle App on your iPhone or iPad or Computer. I'm absolutely LOVING my new device and have already read my first book on it. I hope you're able to get your hands on one and love yours as much as I do!

4 comments:

Me said...

Hi Kiran,

Do you know where I can find Kindle in UAE? Also, do you know about the price (only an estimate)?

Thanks in advance.
Kasra

Kiran Chhabria said...

Hi Kasra,

I know Jumbo Electronics is now selling them so I think your best bet would be to try our store at the Mall of the Emirates. You're going to love it!

Me said...

Dear Kiran,

I'm _very_ thankful for your help.

cheers,
Kasra

Johnms said...

Can i get kindle 4th gen here in dubai? even 3rd gen is fine but not kindle fire as it does not have e ink technology.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails