Monday, February 28, 2011

A look at Oscars Fashions!!

So the Oscars took place last night with very few surprises. I knew "King's Speech" would win best movie, as would Colin Firth and Natalie Portman for Best Actor and Actress respectively. A lot of drama however took place on the red carpet with some bold fashion statements being made by some, and some extremely blah and predictable outfits from others.
The most predictable (but not at all blah) came from the presenter of the evening, Anne Hathaway. While I love her dress and think she looks gorgeous in it, for some odd reason red just seems so, SO done on her! Yes, it's Valentino, and yes, it's gorgeous, but it just seemed like the picture was taken from the Archives-

A look that I absolutely loved from last evening was Mila Kunis's lavender Elie Saab gown. Not only is the colour fun and fresh, she looks so elegant and yet youthful having this whole peekaboo thing going on with the lace and the see-through skirt. Definitely one of my best-dressed picks for the evening-

Scarlett Johanson was looking appropriately sexy in her Dolce and Gabbana outfit. I love the fact that she experimented with her make-up and went for an orange eye-shadow to add a bit of sass into her look. I've never quite taken to the whole messy-haired look on the red carpet however... but I hate to admit it, it kind of works for her over here-

Cate Blanchett looked absolutely STUNNING at the Oscars and glowed in her Givenchy Haute Couture dress. I love the fact that she let the dress stand out and kept the accessories and make up to a bare minimum. I loved every bit of the outfit till I read someone's Twitter post that likened the top of it to a beaded toilet seat! Now the dress for me is like one of those 4D eye/mind-tricking paintings... once you SEE it, you just can't unsee it! Toilet seat dress it is!

I love Natalie Portman and loved the way she dressed up herself and her growing baby bump last evening. Rodarte did a surprisingly non-fussy look and made her look beautiful and glowing in a a plum coloured evening gown. Her Tiffany earrings added the right amount of sparkle to her look-

One of my best dressed picks for last night was also Rhea Durham, who is Mark Wahlberg's better (and very lucky) half. She looked absolutely sensational in a two-toned Naeem Khan gown that looked sensational on the red carpet! Lovely!-

Gwyneth Paltrow looked quite blah last evening. I loved her fun Grammy's look, but everything about this shimmery look just looks so old and boring to me, especially the hair-

Reese Witherspoon AKA Evening Gown Barbie looked like she was dressed up to go to her High School prom in Las Vegas. I think the dress looked cheap and boring (it was Armani Prive) and I can't wrap my head around the hair and the hairspray. Incidentally, whenever I'm in LA, I love chatting to people in the entertainment business (EVERYONE in LA is in the entertainment business!) and asking them for inside scoops on Hollywood gossip and who's doing what, and what the stars are REALLY like. I found out that one of the most surprisingly nasty people in Hollywood is actually Reese Witherspoon! Who would've thought?! Anyway I thought i'd just throw that in there... did not make me biased against her look though.. I think it's God awful on it's own-

Michelle Williams wore yet another subtle-coloured gown with sleeves. This look again just seems slightly done to me, and despite it being one of my favourite designer brands, this Chanel dress is just looking quite blah. She still manages to look beautiful though, so "safe" doesn't always spell "bad"-

That's all on the Oscar front for now. Do let me know if there is anyone you thought who deserved a mention in either the best or worst dressed category.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails