Monday, April 04, 2011

Poem of Mine entitled "The King and the Token"

Here is a poem I had written a few years ago based on a story that my then yoga teacher had told me. I've always said that I don't really write my poems.. they sort of just write themselves. Every now and then I'll feel a poem inside me itching to get out, and it's not uncommon for me to be woken up in the middle of the night and scribble one on a piece of paper. They usually come at phases in my life when I'm very pensive and going through stuff, and then might be followed by long periods where I can't even make up limericks. Unfortunately I'm going through the latter phase now which is both good and bad- bad for creativity, great for peace of mind!
Either way, back to my poem. This story obviously had a major impact on me for it to tumble its way out of me in rhyme. It's called "The King and the Token" and I hope you like it!

My teacher told me of a story
Folklore it could be, or a fable
Of a mighty King, in all his glory
Who posed a question to his table

of Wise Sages, Masters, Ministers, Men
"Is there a tool of significant meaning
Of use to me at all times when
The Sea is calm or shit's hitting the ceiling?

For all the times I'm weak or strong
Find me that tool, search far and wide
For a great power, that will belong
to me, And act as my guide."

Potions were brought, scriptures heard
But in the end the tool was chosen
A piece of paper with enlightened words
to Keep close to him. The perfect token.

One day his Kingdom was attacked
The King fled, fearful for his life
The piece of paper he did extract
To help ease his terror, in the strife.

He read the words, just one time
Receiving the strength to surpass
the war, Saved by just one line-
"This too, my friend, shall pass."

Hiding in a crevice in the ground
The King stay sheltered from the violence
The battle was fought, he was not found,
He emerged victorious amidst the silence.

The years flew by, the Kingdom shone
But the King, he knew, that would not last
At the pinnacle of success, he had but one
reminder, That that too would pass. 

My teacher continued, "And this is how
I convey my most important teaching
The present's all we've got, Stay in the Now
But remember, my friend, that too is fleeting."
-
(This poem is my property only and may not be copied, reproduced or distributed in any way without my prior approval. Thanks!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails