Monday, April 18, 2011

Review- Room at the Hotel de Crillon

As I mentioned in my earlier post here I'm currently in Paris for my birthday. I'd mentioned there that I'm staying at the Hotel de Crillon for my birthday and had taken a picture of the divine chocolate cake as well the champagne they had sent up to my room to celebrate my big day. I know it makes sense for me to write a review about the hotel AFTER I leave, but I've been here for 5 days already so can safely write a review without expecting too much to change my thoughts on the hotel before I leave in two days.
I've stayed at the Crillon both other times I've visited Paris- once when I was very young with my entire family, and once again a few years back with my Mother and older (middle) sister. While booking my hotel room I was researching the other hotels in Paris and looked into availability and prices of the top 3 (in my opinion anyway)- The Ritz, George V and the Crillon. My eldest sister frequents the George V, the second one, the Ritz and as I mentioned, I'd only ever experienced staying at this hotel. As luck would have it, the Crillon was offering the best deal for my stay, and I decided to return to the hotel that was tried and tested.
While the Hotel de Crillon is quite expensive, I had booked my room through my American Express Centurion Concierge service which gives its users a lot of perks at the hotels that are part of the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. While the rates are the regular rack rates (that can be found on the website here) the perks I got with my room were plenty. The program gives the same package for all hotels which is the free room upgrade depending on availability, guaranteed late check out till 4 PM available and free breakfast for 2 per room. Some hotels add on extra perks and the Crillon added not only a one way airport transfer but also a 50 Euro credit per day to be used for food and drink in the hotel. It couldn't be accumulated and the girl while checking in had told us to either "use it or lose it" which of course we had found hilarious. We thought that was a lot of money till we had a look at their room service menu and realized a portion of hommous cost 20 Euros. Not that I was going to come from Dubai and order Hommous in Paris, but I was quite tempted to just to find out what 20 Euro Hommous would taste like!! The Crillon also gave us an Afternoon Tea for 2 (once per stay) that we used up the first day we arrived. That deserves a separate post by itself! Anyhow, I thought the perks with the hotel were amazing, so Amex deserves a pat on the back for hooking that one up.
Without further ado, here are some pictures of my room that I took immediately upon getting in. This is the room before we unpacked, so that it wouldn't look like a tornado had run through it!
The room was absolutely gorgeous and was extremely spacious. I'm pretty sure they did upgrade my room since I don't remember the room being this large when I visited last.
The sitting area was really nice to have as it was so convenient to use while chatting, or in my case, while blogging. The TV can be viewed from either the bed or the sofa too, which would be nice if they had many English channels to watch. What Payal and I both thought was very interesting was that apart from the news channels, there was very little to watch in English, but there are 5 or 6 Arabic channels on there! When we went down for breakfast on our first morning here, we understood why.
More important to me than the room is a spacious bathroom! The bathroom here has a shower and a tub and unlike other hotels that have been renovated but forget to give the bathroom a facelift, this one feels brand new.
Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal remains one of my most favourite perfumes till today, and it's actually the Crillon that had first introduced me to it on my first trip to Paris. I remember being really young and being so blown away by this gorgeous scent and purchasing my first bottle from Paris then. It slowly became popular all over the world and a few years back I was shocked to find it being sold in Dubai as well! I was so happy to see them still sticking by their signature scent that thanks to them had become MY signature scent for many years (followed by Lime, basil and Mandarin by Jo Malone for ages, and has currently been Spring Flower by Creed for a few years).
When I start posting my food reviews, you'll understand why I avoided this devil device shown above like the PLAGUE!
                              There was generous space for a walk in closet in the room as well.

These are just some pictures of the room I've put together... As mentioned, I'll review their Afternoon tea and the rest of the hotel too. I didn't want this post to become too picture heavy.
All in all, if you're visiting Paris, I can't recommend the Hotel de Crillon enough! When I post the rest of the pictures of the Hotel, you'll understand why. Look out for Part 2 of the review!
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails