Thursday, May 26, 2011

Obama 2011 vs Jackie O 1961!

Michelle Obama visited the Buckingham Palace last night, wearing a Tom Ford design. She looked nice, yes, and the dress (as would be expected from Ford) was gorgeous. But then a certain reader on the blog Mrs O, a site dedicated to the First Lady and her Fashion choices, pointed out that the look was eerily similar to that of Jackie Kennedy, circa 1961, when the then-first lady had stepped out to the Buckingham Palace no less, in an elegant white gown with bicep-hugging gloves too! Here's a picture below for you to check out the similarity-
I think I'm going to piss a lot of Michelle Obama fans when I say this, but I really think that NO comparison can be drawn between the two women without insulting the memory of one! Jackie O was a trendsetter in her own right and just the right mix of style, grace, elegance and poise which has fascinated fashion designers for decades now, and it's not uncommon for people to try to emulate her "look". Yes, I think Mrs Obama has done a lot for the fashion industry, and I'd recently even talked about her in my post Prabal Gurung for J Crew and she has (by wearing both brands) helped make them extremely popular choices to wear. Yet, I don't think she is by any stretch of the imagination a "trend-setter" and I can't for the life of me understand why so much importance is given to what she wears! For example, no matter how ridiculously stylish Queen Rania is, she is still looked upon as being one of the most important human rights activists and education advocates in the world, and draws attention to herself for all the right reasons. Mrs Obama? The picture I'll have etched in my head is of her making a monkey face while playing with the hula hoop. Oh and her nice arms.
Maybe in the time of a recession the American First Lady should take a page out of Kate Middleton's book, who looked fresh and elegant during their meeting a few days back, wearing a simple cream coloured dress which was bought from the high street store, Reiss. The "Kate effect" caused the Reiss website to crash with shoppers in the UK wanting to emulate her look. After all, the last time I checked, we were still in the midst of a recession??

-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails