Saturday, May 21, 2011

Prabal Gurung for J Crew

The designer Prabal Gurung is the latest to take part in the "high-end for high-street" trend that's been a favourite for the fashion world over the past few years. Recessionistas everywhere can now get Gurung's fabulous figure-flattering designs for cheap at J Crew, where a few days back his collection was launched. Pieces for some of the items are extremely limited (some designs had only 50 pieces manufactured) so I suspect that you will be more likely to be able to purchase them at eBay for a triple multiple of the price, which would still be a fraction of what an original Gurung creation would cost.
Prabal Gurung is incidentally one of my favourite designers to watch out for. Honestly, I don't own a single piece of his, although with my penchant for "buttons and bows" as a friend puts it, I'd love to own one of his creations for J Crew! Going back to why I'm such a huge fan, I feel like he is one of the first fashion designers from the Indian subcontinent (he is Nepalese by birth but started his career from New Delhi) who has been able to break away from the Indian look and feel of clothes and yet been able to have such a huge impact on the market for Western wear. I knew this budding designer had great things coming his way when Michelle Obama stepped out in one of his creations when she and Jason Wu appeared together to donate her inaugural gown to the Smithsonian. Although style stars like Demi Moore, Leighton Meester and Thandie Newton have also stepped out in Gurung's clothes, I think the first lady was the first who helped make him a household name. His collaboration with J Crew is, I believe, another huge step in the right direction. I really do hope for amazing things to happen to this very talented young designer! Here are some images from his collection for J Crew-



(Images taken from The Cut, NY Magazine)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails