Friday, August 06, 2010

"Aisha" changes the way Bollywood will view fashion!

A couple of hours back, I watched the movie "Aisha" with my best friend and her husband in NYC. After very long have I watched a cute chick-flick that made me smile from the beginning to the end- and this includes the stuff that's recently come out of Hollywood! And my friend's hubby loved it as well, so men who are reading this, don't be scared to give it a watch. It's a blatant rip-off of "Clueless" which in itself was based on Jane Austen's book, "Emma"- with Aisha being more Clueless, less Austen. Yet, even though most people might have seen it's Hollywood counterpart and know what's coming next, it's fun to watch nonetheless.
This post is not being written to be a movie review though. What I really wanted to talk about, were the clothes. I remember watching Karan Johar's "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" while in college, and being amazed with the clothes used in the movie. Whether the outfits were good or not were debatable, it was their expansive budget with Kajol dressed in Polo track pants that had taken me by surprise. After that, there have been a few movies where the clothes have been much publicized- especially when Manish Malhotra is the head designer on board, but I can't remember a single one which made me sit up and take notice- until now.
I believe the movie "Aisha" is going to change the way Bollywood approaches fashion. If you didn't already have Sonam Kapoor giving her fellow starlets a run for their money with her impeccable taste off-set, you know have her in a Bollywood movie doing the impossible- showing off clothes that their more fashion conscious audience would want to wear- no make that aspire to wear! Sonam shows off her Lady Dior and Chanel handbags, while dressed impeccably stylishly in a mix of designer and high street. Her own sense of style and personality means she can carry the quirky looks off perfectly and with poise rather than looking like a monkey playing dress up. I mean, as much as I love Kareena Kapoor as an actress, her idea of "dressing up" is wearing something in pink or red and covered in sequins! Ironically, you have Aisha's ingenue in the movie going on about some sparkly number worn by Kareena in a movie- thankfully nothing that the character Aisha, or the real world Sonam, would dream of wearing. I absolutely LOVED the dress Sonam is wearing for the movie poster of "Aisha"and was so happy to find out it came from none other than our Dubai based designer, the gorgeous Ayesha Depala, who unsurprisingly has moved into designing for Bollywood with this movie.
Aisha is light hearted movie with ab fab clothes- what's not to love? It's a definite must see!
-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Ayesha Depala dress..but did she actually wear that in the movie? I can't seem to recall it...

Kiran Chhabria said...

Nope.. wasn't in the movie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails