Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blackberry Torch review- Unlocked and working on Etisalat

When the Blackberry Torch was launched a couple of days back on AT&T, I was lucky enough to be in the US and get my hands on one the day after the launch. I hope the madness around the BB service gets sorted out with RIM and people are still able to use their devices! That's what I was counting on anyway, when I paid a little bit extra to be able to get the unlocked device. The new form factor and the new OS looked amazing and I just had to be able to check them out for myself!

THE BAD:
Before I even get into the good aspects about the device (of which there are many), let me focus on the bad, because this might be a non-started for you if you were thinking about getting one right now. As of today, on an unlocked device from AT&T, there is no way to use the browser on the BB Torch. The browser on WiFi works PERFECTLY, but the browser off WiFi gives the error message, "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device." On calling my Service Provider (in this case, Etisalat) I called up a couple of times to talk to different people, all of whom tried sending me the service entries or tried changing up the options in the advanced menu, but, unfortunately, each time we couldn't succeed and my browser couldn't work. I went online to figure out what the problem was, but it seems till now all the people having unlocked phones seem to be having the same issue as their Service Providers haven't created the "service books" yet for the new OS, which is what is causing the problem in the first place. So out of WiFi coverage, my email works, my BB messenger works, even my Facebook and Twitter Apps work- just no browser! If you are reading this, and do know a solution, please post it in the review section, or email me and I'll post it up.

THE GOOD:
Ok, so you're probably wondering why someone would use a Blackberry without a browser right? Especially since post October 11th I might not even be able to use the device at all right? I should just take it back, right? Well... after using the device for a little bit, I was going to do just that, but somehow going from the Torch back to my Curve was like downgrading from a Porsche to a Honda. The screen that I'd gotten used to staring into for MONTHS, all of a sudden just seemed so small and so insignificant after using a big and bright screen. I also found myself trying to tap on the screen to open up icons, as the new Torch has a beautiful touchscreen functionality, which complements (or replaces if you want) the slide out full keyboard at the bottom.

The new Torch is a great device with the new Operating system which, just like every other website has said, is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Honestly, most of the reviews on the Torch on websites have been pretty lukewarm. Yes, they agree, its a good phone, but Blackberry is loosing its touch and nobody is going to want one anymore. You know what? I disagree with them completely. The Torch isn't one of those devices that competes with the iPhone4- but then again, why would the users want it to?? I believe that the guys who write for gadget blogs aren't your average Joe's who just use their phone to check email and make calls. Hell no! They want their phone to play movies, act as a wireless remote, act as a wireless mouse, edit pictures, and do everything under the sun with it. I don't believe that's how normal people use their phones. Most users, especially Corporate users, are happy with a phone that has a fabulous battery life, that sends their email to them the second it hits their inbox, is easy to use, does not hang continuously and is fast and reliable. Blackberry fits that description and aces in every one of those requirements, device after device, and the Torch is no different.

Is there really anything about the Torch that suggest that there's been a completely new Operating System in it? Not really. The functionality is easy to use, and they have finally done away with the SurePress screen where you have to punch the screen and hold it down to type (have a look at the Storm 1 and 2 to understand the disaster I'm talking about). The touch screen is really helpful as it allows you to zip around and phone if you need to, or pinch to zoom, or flick through picture albums, just like you would.. dare I say it... an iPhone. The keyboard is excellent, and existing Blackberry users with have no problems typing at their usual speeds upon getting the device in their hand. The camera is an improved 5 megapixel camera, and is pretty OK for a mobile phone. Its no Sony Ericsson though, I'll tell you that much. The phone is fast and responsive, and I've had no issues with it at all. Besides the obvious browser problem of course, which isn't really the fault of anyone at all- except maybe mine for being too impatient. Otherwise, I love the device, and think anyone with a current Blackberry would definitely think of upgrading to this. Now if only the Browser issue and the ban could go away....
-

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same issue with the browser but I have installed the BOLT browser and it works great.
Cheers
stef

Kiran Chhabria said...

Ooh.. maybe I'll try that. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Please follow this link for the web browser solution. I am also in the Middle East and it worked 100% for me.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/unlocked-9800-everything-works-instructions-513408/

Anonymous said...

Hi,

how can i install BOLT as i can't download it from the phone since the browser is not working
how did you do yours pls?

Kiran Chhabria said...

Get on a WiFi network and download it. However, my Bolt browser wasn't working off WiFi either.
Try following the link that the person has posted above- you might have better luck with that.

As for mine, strangely enough my Browser just started working one day, without any tinkering.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I have a few friends who have bought the Blackberry Torch. They seem to be complaining about facebook and twitter not working on Etisalat's Dhs 49/- social package. Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Is there a solution to this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails