Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My trip to LA!

This was the sign I saw upon landing at the airport in LA... and they weren't joking. Absolutely EVERYTHING in LA is made up! It really is the land of plastic. I was in LA around a little over a week back for a friend's wedding taking place over the weekend. My friend went to the same boarding school as me (albeit much before I was there) and it's weird how my school is one of those institutions where it doesn't quite matter when you went- just the fact that you did, is enough to bond you. Anyhow, was lots of fun meeting with other alumni from the school.

I've never been too big a fan of LA as (don't kill me for saying this!) the vibe for me is just too similar to Dubai. You can't really walk on the streets too much over there and have to drive everywhere, the people just seem to be a lot more pretentious and it's all about seeing and being seen. New York for me is a lot more laid back and I love the buzz and electricity in the air- LA for me has always lacked that. My most memorable moment in LA though was when I was there a few years back for a Sony Global Partners Conference, and all of Rodeo Drive had been blocked off for our final dinner. They had a red carpet laid out with all the stars of Sony Movies walking it- right from Tom Hanks and Angela Lansbury to Toby McGuire and Drew Barrymore. It ended with me being front row and center watching Chaka Khan at a private concert for just us! I must admit, that was a very fun evening.

This time around my most memorable moment was watching my friend ride through Rodeo on an Elephant to come meet his bride for the wedding ceremony. He really was quite the tourist attraction that day! Here is a picture of him taken from my balcony-
And here is another picture I took of the famous Rodeo sign, and another one of my favourite boutique on the street-
I visited the Chanel store there and asked to see a jacket in my size. Turns out, the largest size they had bought in that particular item was a 38... which translates to a size 10 UK maybe? And that was the LARGEST!! Yup, LA is really not my favourite place!
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails