Monday, August 30, 2010

Emmy fashion '10- What they wore, and what I thought...

I was in Chicago yesterday when the Emmy's were on so missed seeing all the clothes live from the red carpet. However, for the past 2 hours I've been going through different websites catching up on all that I missed and watched E! and their one hour Emmy's special with Joan Rivers and Kelly Osbourne on. Some of their comments are spot on, some couldn't be further from the truth and all are absolutely hilarious.

Here are some of the looks from last night, with my comments on them-
I thought Eva Longoria Parker looked absolutely stunning on the red carpet in Robert Rodriguez. I liked the fact that she wore a subdued colour which was appropriate as neither she or her show had been nominated, but yet managed to look stylish and fashionable. I also love her ruby chandelier earrings from Loren Jewels and love that little pop of colour on her.
The fashion blogs and critics have gone ga-ga over Kim Kardashian's white Grecian gown from Marchesa. However, I'm really not a huge fan. There is something about the yellow gold stuff going on on top that makes the dress look very tacky to me, and the bangles on one hand just makes it even worse. I think if you're going to do white, do it the way Leighton Meester did it wearing Bottega Veneta to last years Emmy's- stylish and now. But really, I seem to be the only one who doesn't seem to like this one, so don't be surprised if you disagree with me.
Joan Rivers actually awarded Anna Paquin the unfortunate title for being the worst dressed of the night in this Alexander McQueen dress. It's quite scary then, that I quite like it! I love the top of the dress, and wish it had been a straight flow to the floor, as it could have done without that draped bottom. I think her hair and make-up is also perfect and looks gorgeous with the dress. However, it probably just isn't a good fit for the Emmy's- maybe for a night out at the Met Ball instead.
By the way, if you aren't watching her show, True Blood, get the DVD's NOW! But make sure your TV room is kid-free before you put it on- it'll make Sex & the city, look like the Cartoon Network.
Sofia Vergara in what seems to be her favourite designer, Carolina Herrera, dazzled and looked radiant and fresh. Joan Rivers said her dress looked like she dropped coffee down the front of it, but I think it's really beautiful.

I've clumped Lea Michele from Glee, Tina Fey from 30 Rock and Kathy Griffin all in the same category, as they all wore Oscar de la Renta, or as I'd like to call it, the most shockingly-bad designer of the evening category. Seriously! Oscar and Carolina Herrera are the best go-to designers for the red carpet, but somehow they both managed to shock me (and not in a good way) at the Emmy's. Lea Michele's dress was one of the most talked about from last evening, but I think it was just way too frou-frou for someone so young. Tina Fey looked stunning, but the dress did her no favours, and Kathy Griffin just looked blah. Joan Rivers said that Fey's dress looked like it had Arabic lettering drawn all over it, like it were a secret message to Bin Laden. Look back at it- it really does!
Padma Lakshmi from Top Chef, and Michele Agron from Glee both wore Carolina Herrera, or the second most disappointing designer of the evening. At least Herrera had Sofia Vergara to redeem her! Michele Agron looks like she's missing her Little Bo Peep hat along with her sheep, and Padma Lakshmi's God-awful gypsy necklace is so distracting, I can barely look past it to analyze the dress. Had she opted for some actual jewelry, I think the dress would have some serious potential, but with that, it looks like it cost a 100 bucks from H&M.
The usually stunning women from Mad Men looked like they tried way too hard to be "fashion forward" last night. Christina Hendricks looks like a purple "big bird" in her Zac Posen dress, and January Jones- I don't even know what she's trying to do in that blue Versace thing. Elisabth Moss (pictured middle) I thought looked tasteful and elegant in the beautiful Donna Karan dress that hugged her in all the right places.
Lauren Graham looks horrible in this Yigal Azrouel dress. Speaking of horrible, have you seen her new show Parenthood? Good. Don't.
Mindy Kaling, from The Office- What were you thinking??? And can you believe, she's still not the worst dressed of the night!
Susan Sarandon and Glenn Close had quite a few things in common last night. They both showed up with their daughters as their dates last night, they both looked ravishing in age-appropriate attire, and they both could give their offspring a run for their money! SO beautiful and SO elegant! Also, if you haven't watched Glenn Close's show Damages, you're missing one of the best shows ever made on television! (Yes, I watch a LOT of TV shows.. can you tell?)

And finally- the Best Dressed of the night according to me, has GOT to be Claire Danes.
Danes looked like a vision in Armani Prive! I LOVED what she wore to the Met Ball earlier this year, and I think she just looked incredibly beautiful in her gown at the Emmy's too. Her dress was encrusted with Swarovski crystals, and I believe she remarked that it was not very comfortable, as it was heavier than her! Well, it was well worth it, and I thought she brought out her best accessory out with the dress- her glowing complexion.

The Worst dressed of the night without a doubt was Rita Wilson-
I don't know what Prada was thinking when they made this dress, and worse yet, I don't know what Rita was thinking before she wore it. WHY would anyone do that to themselves?! And if you don't already think the dress is bad enough on it's own, just take a look at a close-up of the shoes-
Those crystal thingy's bounced around as she walked! Maybe she was instructed to wear them to hypnotize people into thinking they didn't absolutely HATE her dress? Prada should've given her instructions to wear it a bit higher up for that party trick.

Would love to hear what you guys thought. What are your best and worst dressed picks from the Emmy's?
-

2 comments:

Cara said...

Totally cool with you not liking Lauren Graham's dress, but what you said about Parenthood? WRONG!!!!!! You truly spoke as someone who clearly has barely seen any of it. It is intelligent and amazing, which is more than I can say for this blog. You probably won't post this comment because you moderate - but you should. The Parenthood show is smarter than you.

Kiran Chhabria said...

I couldn't get past the first episode, and have had other friends feel the same way.
And really?? You want to curse me out because I didn't like a TV show?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails