Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Call your friends straight from Gmail!


Google today introduced "Google Voice" through Gmail- a way for users to make phonecalls directly from their website while being signed into Google Chat. You can make calls to the US and Canada for free, and to other countries for fairly reasonable prices. Calls to the UAE will cost 19 cents.
I tried to use Gmail to call my best friend today within the US (I am currently in the country too) and was using the speaker and mic on my laptop to chat with her. She said it just sounded like I was on speakerphone, and otherwise the call quality was pretty good. I could hear her perfectly clearly on my end.
I'd love to know if it works from Dubai, considering Skype is blocked there. If someone does test it out and has success, please let me know in comments below. Also I'd be interested in knowing how the clarity is of the calls from one country to another, since I called locally. Do keep me posted!
-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skype works in Dubai. I use it for work regularly...
Then again, I work in a du environment. I have issues at times with etisalat.

Anonymous said...

Just called Canada. It worked. However, I do have my VPN on since I was listening to Pandora.

Anonymous said...

Ok, tested it without the VPN.
The call feature in GMail does not show...

I guess it is like Pandora...

CH

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails