Thursday, October 07, 2010

Blog Corner reviews "Confashions from Kuwait"!!!

This is another one of my most exciting posts for my blog, because I absolutely LOVE hers! Anyone who lives in the Middle East, interested in fashion and loves reading blogs will definitely have heard of Confashions from Kuwait. In fact, if you love fashion and don't even read too many blogs, Confashion will probably be the one exception to that rule. What intrigues me about the site is not just it's up to date view on fashion... it goes much further than that. As a blogger I see TONS of blogs out there that simply post pictures from other blogs or magazines, without having any sense of taste to distinguish the good from the bad, or any sense of creativity to post original items. This is especially true of Fashion blogs.. especially fashion blogs in the Middle East. Popular bloggers in the West usually get invitations for Fashion shows and other private events from the designers, in an effort for them to post about it. Also, when I spent 2 months in New York this summer, I found it so much easier to be in on the latest trends of the city because it literally is EVERYWHERE! All I saw this fall was capes, faux fur and booties- whether it was on the street, in high street stores, or in Bergdorfs. It isn't too hard to figure out what trends I then wanted to blog about. With Confashion, she has a well trained eye for Fashion, is up to date on the trends of the main shopping capitals of the world despite living in Kuwait (you'll often find her posting pictures of store windows from all over), has great taste (a testimony I'm sure thousands of readers will agree to) and is completely original in her postings. Confashion's posts are original, informative and have a great fashion mix from high end to high street.  
While other bloggers also revel in becoming household names and recognizable faces on the fashion scene, Confashion chooses to drape herself in anonymity, and measures her success only in the number of hits she receives on her blog, which has been active since 2007. I emailed her to answer a few questions for this post, and while she gladly accepted to answer a few questions, politely declined in handing me a picture or revealing anything (including a name) about herself. Especially living in the Middle East and knowing of the "Ahlan-celebrities" (people whose only claim to fame is being photographed for magazines) who refuse to attend fashion shows unless seated in the front row, this just makes me like her and a blog a little bit more. That and the fact that if you go through a few of the comments in my own fashion-related posts, you'll find Confashions encouraging or complimentary comments, that always put a big smile to my face. Here are some questions I asked the mysterious blogger-

Why the anonymity? Given that bloggers like Bryanboy, Garance and Scott (of The Sartorialist) are the new Anna Wintour's and Suzy Menkes' with cult followings to match, why would you choose to not "show" yourself?
When I first began blogging my decision wasn’t about looking for popularity or about me wanting to avoid being held accountable for what I wrote.  There were plenty of unintended hints in my writing for people who know me to figure out who I am. I think part of the reason for me being anonymous is because honestly I’m just a shy person and I love my privacy.  I’m just using the blog as an outlet for my passion for fashion and venture into the world of blogging. Never did I imagine that it would grow big and to get recognized and appreciated regionally and internationally. But lately, I’m sensing that the word has officially spread out! (lol!) Probably because of the nature of our culture and people asking around, so it’s getting more difficult keeping my identity a secret. I guess there will come a time when I’ll just have to go with the flow and reveal myself.


Describe your own personal style? 
A little bit of everything. I can’t stick to one style so I try incorporating something different to my look. I tend to mix vintage with new, girlie with gothic, avant-garde with a hint of classy, high-street with high-end brands. But at the end of the day, I have to be comfortable with what I’m wearing (physically and mentally). And I’m constantly influenced by a lot of things like the people around me, magazines, old family photo albums, and traveling. 

Which is your favourite brand, and the one designer brand you'd never wear?
My current favorite has to be Erdem and Alaïa. As for my least favorite, I can’t think of one right now. There are some designers who fail to amuse me in one season and then they exceed my expectations the next. 

Who for you is the ultimate style icon?
At the moment, I find myself musing over the legendary Iris Apfel’s eccentric style and her love
for colors. I want to be like her when I’m 70+ years old! I also love Grace Kelly’s ladylike style, Diane Kruger for trying out different looks every time, and of course I totally love Dree Hemingway and Chloë Sevigny’s personal style. They have this fun avant-garde approach to fashion. These are women who are savvy about what works for them.  And i think that's one of the most important parts of developing your own personal style.


Bryanboy has always said that his most memorable fashion moment was Marc Jacobs hugging him and pointing to the cameras in front of them, saying, "Welcome to America!" Any fabulous fashion moments of your own?
Oh! To me, Confashions from Kuwait has brought to me a lot of unforgettable experiences and fashion moments that will be forever be engraved in my memory. Such as visiting Net-a-Porter’s Office, seeing and meeting some of the movers and shakers of the fashion industry such as Natalie Massenet and Elie Saab (I’d like to keep the rest as a secret for now :P) and the most recent one, is Burberry choosing to live stream their S/S 2011 runway show through my blog, which meant a big deal to me. 

You obviously travel around the Middle East a lot, and I see quite a few Dubai-based photographs of yours. Any tips for letting your readers trying to Confashion-spot you while in the malls?
That’s one secret I’ll never tell ;)

Haha! Love this girl! Log into www.confashionsfromkuwait.com to get your daily fix on all things fashionable!


1 comment:

Confashion said...

Thank you so much Kiran for the interview and your kind words :*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails