Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Shang Palace- 8 for 88!!

One of my favourite Chinese restaurants in Dubai, Shang Palace at the Shangri La, is having an amazing promotion going on. The promo is called "8 for 88" and basically means you can get 8 dishes per person for the price of Dhs 88, and is available at lunch only. One of my closest friends in Dubai lives at the Shangri-La apartments and was actually the one who introduced me to the Shang Palace in the first place. The amount we go down for meals there is absolutely ridiculous, and we've usually always stuck to the same thing- dim sum, peking duck and/or prawns with egg fried rice. We never really ventured out of our comfort zone food-wise, but the food is always so good we could happily dine there once or twice a week. A few months back they had an "8 for 88" promotion and it gave us a perfect excuse to try some other stuff on the menu (as between us we had 16 options), and it was all delicious! And considering the restaurant usually isn't cheap, the promotion was fantastic because in around 200 Dhs, you've literally sampled half the menu.
And when I use the word "sample" I use it quite loosely as the portions are huge! While each piece of dimsum counts as one, and a green tea for example, counts as another, a main course dish is just a little smaller than what you'd normally get and is an extremely generous helping. Trust me, there is NO WAY you could possibly finish all the food they bring for you. You have options for soup and desert as well, and have a huge variety on the menu to pick from, so it's not like you have to pick 8 items from an option list of 10- its more like 30.
Anyhow, I was super excited when I came back to town and found that they've made it a permanent lunch promotion. They don't have it on weekends though, so make sure to call ahead to check availability. The last time I was there, I had my camera with me and took pictures of the dishes. Just look at the amount of food on our table.. we couldn't finish a third of it!

                 They have the best dim sum in town. This is their prawn and chive I think

              This was an interesting egg and shrimp dish- more like a prawn omelet!
The beef is amazing, as is the fried chicken you can see next to it. Like a Chinese chicken nugget. SO good.. but so not good for your diet.
This is my new favourite dish. For people on a health kick, the steamed garoupa (or Hammour) in soy and ginger is delicious and has no oil in it. If you're ever in the mood for Chinese but don't want to break your diet, this is as tasty as the chicken nuggets above, with zero guilt attached to it.

Definitely make it to the Shang for their "8 for 88".. the food and service is always amazing and you won't regret it.
-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, just stumbled upon your site. I live in Dubai too and try to research and try most restaurants here! I have also tried Shang Palace, and it's not bad. One of the better Chinese places in Dubai, along with Chinese Palace, in Al Ghurair - don't know if you've tried it. Bon appetit!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your site. I also live in Dubai and like to try different restaurants here. I tried Shang Palace, and it was pretty good, one of the better Chinese places here in Dubai, along with Chinese Palace in Al Ghurair (don't know if you've been there). Thanks for the good reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails