Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Umar Sayeed at Dubai Fashion Week!

My good friend Mariya Kassam, owner of Soiree Boutique, decided to take part in Dubai Fashion Week and showcase her fabulous designer, Umar Sayeed's  latest collection. The show took place last evening, and was a shared show with designers Meher and Riddhima showing their collection first.
Now a few words about Dubai Fashion Week- It is, in a word- sad. I've never heard of the designers showcasing there, and if some of the work in the tents I saw outside the show yesterday are anything to go by, I can understand why. I haven't been to one of these fashion shows in ages, and after the terrible organization I witnessed yesterday, I'm not about to go to another one anytime soon. My friends and I had tickets to be on the Front row, but instead found someone else in our seats, and were shoved on the side (and when I say shoved, I mean literally pushed) and made to stand and watch instead. It is a shame that the organizers can even TRY to compare themselves with the "Fashion Weeks" the world over, and the fact that a lot of the top designers in the UAE decided to show their collections last week is quite a telling sign of what they think of DFW. I've really gone to college fashion shows that are better organized- and I'm not even exaggerating.
My friends and I decided to stand and watch the show not only to support Mariya, but also to see the stunning Umar Sayeed pieces that were to come down the ramp. Sayeed has for this collection, been inspired by the works of the famous Pakistani artist, Sadequain, whose artworks I've recently acquired for my new home. Mariya knew I'd appreciate the translation of his work into Fashion, that too by the extremely talented Umar Sayeed no less, and had insisted I make the show. I wasn't about to let the DFW staff ruin that for me!
After the Meher and Riddima first half was done, the lights were dimmed and a slideshow of Sadequain's works were showed on two giant screens, followed by the showstopper of the evening- a Model wearing a jacket with a 6 feet trail of works from a Sadequain mural walked from the corner of the room, up the ramp to the back of the stage. Never before has a fashion show ever given me goosebumps like I had at that very moment! Ok I'll stop here and let some of the pictures do the talking-


                                                        The Showstopper!
                               An Umar Sayeed dress, with a close-up of the Sadequain detailing

                                        Few more pieces from the collection
             
 Those who witnessed the show will vouch that the dresses were exquisite and were art in themselves. Sadequain would be proud!
-

2 comments:

Palm Princess said...

Hi Kiran - I agree with you that these are show stopping pieces and great works of art!! However are they practical and versatile. Can one wear this 6 foot long coat and goto Boudoir? or anywhere for that matter. Umar & Mohsin Saeed are both dear friends of mine and have made a GREAT statement here but thats all !!!

Kiran Chhabria said...

The showstopper in any fashion show is usually one not supposed to be worn and instead is supposed to give an idea or be an expression about the designer or an artist. In this case, the jacket, is not meant to be worn and I don't think anyone will be wearing anything from Umar Sayeed while heading to Boudoir. The rest of the pieces were extremely wearable straight off the ramp.

Some designers choose to have their entire show as an expression of their art- Check out the Martin Margiella show for Fashion week that I'd posted about below-
http://www.kiranscorner.com/2010/10/fashion-or-art.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails