Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The skinny on Dr. Shefali Verma

I didn't exactly know what Dr. Shefali Verma did, but I knew I wanted to meet her. So when my sister called while I was in the waiting room of her clinic yesterday afternoon, all I could tell her was, "I'm just stepping in to meet this nutritionist-type lady who does allergy testing thing... and oh! she helped my friend loose 15 kilos!" The 15 kilos was introduction enough for me, and apparently for my sister too.
It was only half an hour into my chat with Dr Shefali, during which she'd taken a detailed account of my background, health problems, family health issues, eating habits, sleeping habits, emotional state, type of dreams, room clutter situation (did you know sleeping with gadgets is a huge no-no? Neither did I!) and almost every possible question relating to my life that she thought impacted my health. And according to Shefali, almost EVERYTHING directly or indirectly impacts a persons health. Before you start to roll your eyes and think this is yet another new age fad or crash diet, let me allay your fears right here- it isn't. I mentioned to another friend a few days back, that I was going to see this "allergy-testing type lady" (I really didn't know how else to describe her) when she exclaimed, "oh no! Not another blood group diet!" No.. nothing to do with blood group, I'd informed her. Another friend asked if she held up certain foods to my arm to see whether they suited me or not. Nope, I'd said to her too. Another asked if she did NLP to test out my allergies. Turns out (thankfully) Shefali's process is a little more scientific than that!
Shefali laughed when I asked her exactly what it is she does. Turns out, she doesn't quite know how to describe herself either! She is a Doctor who specializes in nutritional therapy and is also a strength coach and does fascial strength therapy- got all that? Basically, her main aim is to work with her client to find out exactly what part of their body is not functioning as it should, and try to help alleviate the problem by prescribing foods and vitamins to help heal illnesses. In the hour and a half I spent in her office, she painstakingly explained to me which areas of my diet, exercise and lifestyle I had to make changes to, and promptly sent me in for a blood test to figure out what specific food types I had intolerances to. She also repeated the word "prevention" at least 10 times, stressing, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Moreover, everything that she said to me MADE SENSE which probably had to do with her explaining in detail how every body part to do with my issue functioned, and why it had obviously stopped functioning, and how each vitamin would get it working to optimal health again.
Shefali's husband is also a sports therapist and strength coach, and don't be surprised to hear people in Dubai raving about the "David and Shefali" combo very soon. My friend with the 15 kilo weight loss trains with him, and couldn't stop raving about how great he was and how they both were the key to her looking and feeling so much better. They've only opened in Healthcare city 6 weeks ago, and I was telling her that already 2 people in the past week had pointed me in her direction. My new trainer who is health and fitness obsessed, gave me her number on the first session we had together, and said he  consults with her often for himself too. While my blood tests results haven't come in yet, I can't really say how easy or difficult the process is going to be, or how intense. But from what I've seen of her and her working style, I'm already impressed.

You can contact Dr Shefali at verma.shefali@gmail.com or call her clinic for an appointment at (9714) 362 4955

2 comments:

Maya John said...

How was your treatment with dr. shefali ?
im contemplating going to her myself

Kiran Chhabria said...

I found her good but very hard to follow. I am currently on a diet given to me by my trainer Amir-
http://www.kiranscorner.com/2011/05/profile-on-amir-my-personal-trainer.html

Check her out though.. a lot of people swear by her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails