Sunday, September 19, 2010

Back in Dubai

It's almost 2 at night, and I've just settled into my bed after a hectic almost 19 hours of traveling. After almost 2 and a half months of being away, I'm finally back home in Dubai. Jet lag ensures I can't sleep, and I'm too tired to unpack, and after chatting with me for two hours, my mother too decided she can't stay up any longer... so here I am, sleepless in Dubai, and pensive. I miss my best friend and I miss my bed in New York and I miss the sounds of the ambulance that I can hear in the middle of the night despite being 41 flights up. I know tomorrow I'll wake up and remember that I can get out of my room and play with my dog, have breakfast made for me and not have to make my own bed, and I'll be happier. But right now, I just miss my home away from home.
America will always hold a very dear place in my heart as it is the place I spent 4 of my best years, at College in Boston. New York is special to me because that's what my best friend, one of the people I love most in this world, calls home. People might call the US the land of excess, or say that it lacks the culture or sophistication of Europe, or whatever they want. It doesn't change that I always have a bit of separation anxiety every time I leave. I still remember graduating in 2000 and having to leave that world of mine and moving to Dubai. Before I went off to college, I was in boarding school in Switzerland for 2 years, and before that, I was in India for six years. Dubai had never been home to me for a long, long time and I was so nervous for my big move as I had no friends or no life there. The IT bubble had just burst and the economy sucked, so staying back in the US and getting some work experience had no longer remained an option then. They say whatever happens, happens for the best, but I didn't understand it then. I now realize that it was  the best thing I could have done, as my Father passed away 2 years later, and I got to spend some amazing quality time with him- both at home, and at work.
Either way, I wanted to share a poem that I had written in 2000 entitled "Boston." I've been writing poetry ever since I could string two sentences together, and have been quite shy in posting any of my work over here with the exception of course being The Mystery of the Loiterer- Part 2.. if you haven't read it, read Part 1 here first. Incidentally, my friend Nadia sent me a  message 2 days back saying The Loiterer had been spotted again (he had done a disappearing act for a while) but I don't know if she just said that to lure me back home and not postpone my return again! Anyhow, back to the poem. I've been quite shy about posting my stuff over here, but since most of my posts are well received, I figure, what the hell. I'm also giving it a new home- "Time for a Rhyme corner" where from time to time, I'll post some of my works as well as some incredible poems I've read along the way. If you are a closet poet like me, and are feeling brave enough to share your work, email me.
Anyhow, here is mine-


At 3 AM I sit and write,
Plunged into Boston's pitch black night,
Three more weeks and then I leave,
Bearing my heart upon my sleeve.

Memories I've collected all these years,
Happy, sad, kind words and fears,
And all the friends that I have found,
I leave back and go, Logan bound,

With two suitcases to carry my world,
The life the stars and stripes unfurled,
Four Years ago upon this land,
I came, two suitcases in my hand.

Now it's time, I'm going home,
It's a place I feel I don't know.
I was scared, frightened when I just came
It's funny... now I feel the same.

Hope you like it! Off to bed now...

Kiran's Corner is officially back in Dubai!
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails