Friday, September 24, 2010

Review of the new 6th generation iPod Nano

I usually upgrade my iPod Nano once a year. Even if I don't need a memory upgrade, even if I don't require whatever gimmick they've built in for that year (like the video camera last year) and even though the size is small enough for me to not require slimmer, squarer, taller.. or again, whatever shape they decided to adopt that year. Ever since the Nano has been launched, I'll change mine every year. Usually the difference in the product is so minuscule that I barely notice any at all, but am just happy (being a tech-nut) that I have the latest product in my hand, and will buy it regardless. The last gen Nano however, was taller, slimmer and as mentioned previously, had a video camera built in, and was, technically, an upgrade of the previous years model. I however, couldn't wait for a new one to be announced, just so I could be rid of it! I hated the accelerometer that caused the device to change its orientation with the slightest bit of movement in it, which I found to just be extremely annoying especially while working out with it. I couldn't really figure out it's purpose, and just found myself wanting my older, 3rd generation Nano back to use.
The 5th generation iPod Nano thankfully solves that problem, and is a cute upgrade for people who want a smaller, slicker device. I must warn you before I get into the review, that I ordered my iPod from Apple.com the day it was announced (I was in the US and couldn't wait till I got back to Dubai and the stocks hit my stores) and it was defective. The first time I listened to it, it worked great till I tried to use it the second time, and the volume didn't play right. I got my replacement device the day I was leaving (thank God I realized I had a problem before I left!) and I haven't used the new one since, but I'm hoping it plays fine. In terms of sound quality (based on my first experience) the music sounded great and just as good as the old devices. Few people have complained about the cheap quality of the headphones included, but I have my own great sounding pair that I plugged in and had no issues with it.
In terms of software, the iPod was so much nicer to use and handle. The clip on the device means I can attach it on my sleeve while working out, or on my collar if I don't want the wires to get in my way. Gym-goers will understand how inconvenient it can be to do things like boxing while having the iPod on your arm band. It's caused more than one painful pop-out-of-ear accident, aggravated by the fact that my headphones clip on behind my ears. Another good thing is that you can orient the screen anyway you want, but have to physically turn it using the multi-touch screen to face you. This alleviates my orientation problem as well. The screen is big enough for you to go through playlists without any problems and the screen is clear and beautiful.
Again, I haven't used the new Nano extensively, but from the little time I spent with it, I really do like what I see and would definitely recommend an upgrade for old Nano fans. For those wanting more memory or want to get more out of their device, I fell in love with the new iPod Touch and can't recommend it enough. It is impossibly slim, has an amazing bright screen, and can do everything the iPhone can but just not make phone calls. Given the number of issues I'm having with my iPhone 4, that might not even be a bad thing, especially when it seems to be half it's size! All in all, both the Nano and the Touch are their best devices yet. As for the shuffle, I don't understand why it still exists, except for maybe it's low price? Old Nano users, spend that tiny bit extra and upgrade to the new Nano- the screen itself will make you glad you did.
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails