Thursday, September 23, 2010

How to save money while shopping in the US

My mother has always drilled it in my head- A penny saved, is a penny earned. There is a huge difference between being penny-wise and pound foolish, and not being wasteful. When in the US, I always shop to my hearts content, but try to be smart about how I shop. These little tips and tricks have really helped me over the years, and hopefully will help you too.
1) When vacationing and shopping and Europe, I always look at the price tag, balk at it, realize I can subtract VAT from it, calculate the price into Dirhams, pay and smile. For first time vacationers in the US it usually goes like this- look at the price, convert to currency, smile (depending on item and which currency you're converting it to), go the cash register, get alarmed about how price on till does not match price tag on item, realize you're getting screwed, pay anyway, frown. All prices on items do not include the tax (which differs in every State) and usually people forget to factor that in. A great way to avoid paying that tax is to get the item shipped to another State. For example, if you buy something from New York from a store that isn't in Jersey or Connecticut and have friends or family you can ship to, do so. If you're traveling within the US and can ship to your next destination and can save tax, do that. My gorgeous Hermes lizard Birkin that I spoke about here? It was quite expensive. I had it shipped to me and guess what? 10% of quite expensive is still a lot of money.. money I saved!
2) A lot of stores offer visitor discounts for tourists and foreign travelers, so ask if the store you're shopping at offers any such service. Macy's and Bloomingdales for example, issue you a 10-15 percent discount on all purchases in the store if you show them a passport or any other type of ID.
3) There are a lot of stores online that offer coupons and discounts for either online or in-store purchases. I personally haven't tried any of them, but I know friends who have, and I know they've gotten some pretty good deals. The ones I know off are RueLaLa, Gilt and Groupon. I know RueLaLa recently had a sale on Chanel items (and the latest stuff- not stuff ages old) so they obviously have some great brands backing them.
4) For the people shopping more high end items, like designer clothes and bags, I highly recommend you not scatter all your purchases from different stores, but try to work with one person in a store. If you keep returning to the same person and ask them to source different items for you, you build a relationship with them that goes a long way. I am not a sale shopper, because I hate the pushing and the shoving that a sale involves, and I invariably never find anything. However, there are so many times I'll get an email from my favorite store, offering me some pre-sale items that they might have in my size, with pictures and everything. I even get emails from a personal shopper who offers me discounts on select products like handbags, that are a one day offer just for ONE particular piece- brand new (not damaged), and you wouldn't know about it if you're walking on the shop floor. They are usually gone in about 10 seconds after she sends the email, but still. They just unofficially offer perks to their regular customers, and sadly it differs from each personal shopper in each and every store. So try to find someone good, and work with them. They also ship internationally, so if you have your credit card on file, they'll gladly send over things to you that you might have seen back home even.
5) If you want to stock up daily essentials and stuff, the Outlet stores in America are really good. They are usually a bit of a drive outside the main city, and sometimes are really worth the trek. If you're looking for the latest fashions, don't even bother going. But if you're shopping for stuff like luggage, or kids clothes or gym gear, you'll be SO happy you went. Lovers of Polo Ralph Lauren t-shirts should just go for that alone. The stuff you'll buy in Dubai for hundreds of Dirhams, will be available for next to nothing there. Men usually find the Outlets a great place to shop, even more than the women do. Just check out a list of the stores there before you go, so you know you're getting a good mix. If there are only one or two stores you want to check out, it probably won't be worth the trip.
6) Sometimes it just pays to ask! I had a very strange experience happen to me at the start of this year at the Bloomingdales in New York. They had a sale on their fur coats and had racks of them lined up for I think around 50% off. I wandered over and fell in love with a stunning knee length mink coat that was just to die for. The sales lady took me over and then showed me a Loro Piana reversible cashmere jacket with chinchilla trim that was also on sale. Both gorgeous items, very different looks, and exactly the same price! Each time I'd try on one, I'd have a passerby comment on how pretty that jacket looked, till I tried on another, and the exact same happened. I finally settled on the mink, but just as the lady was going to swipe my card, I decided to change my mind and go for the other. The lady looked up at me and said, "you know, if you DO want to think about both, I can speak to my Manager to do something." I was pretty surprised but didn't show it and asked to see him, and what followed was the type of negotiation I haven't seen outside a souq in Dubai! I would never, ever, ever think that was possible- to haggle in a department store.. in the US.. in the fur department no less.. and on Loro Piana fur that too! I'd have been too embarrassed to even ask, had the lady not suggested it! Maybe I should shut up and wear the jackets pretending I paid a crazy amount for them, but honestly I am just so proud of my purchases and the deal I got, that anytime anyone says, "nice jacket!" they're going to get stuck with this story.
Anyhow, I hope these tips helped you, regardless of what you're budget is. If you do have any comments or tips for the other readers, please leave it in the comments field below-
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails