Monday, September 27, 2010

"Follow" my blog on Google Reader!

A few of my friends have been reading my blog since I started it a few months back. I had to personally call upon each of them individually and request them to click on the little "Follow" icon that appeared on the side (when I had the option available). I had even made my disclaimer saying I didn't quite know what clicking that little button did but that I didn't want the number to be in the single digits! Well, a handful of them complied, till I did away with the box completely.
Later while trying to find ways to catch up on my favourite blogs easily, I came across Bloglovin' and immediately linked an icon for people to be able to follow my blog along with other peoples. This is a short video to show how Bloglovin works-



However, Bloglovin had it's limitations, as I didn't like the way all the posts from different blogs came chronological in order, and more importantly, I had to be online on a computer to read it. I had a whole bunch of blogs bookmarked on my laptop at home, but had to remember each site's URL to be able to put it in and go through it on my iPad. After doing a little more digging, I found a whole bunch of Apps available to do just that, that synced the stuff you "liked" with Google Reader, so that you didn't have to keep adding blogs and webpages each time you tried a different application out. So, I'm going to give you a few options about how you can keep in touch with all your online blog reading with ease.


Google Reader- Google Reader is a great way for you to keep in touch with all the online news. It's easy to use, and as you would expect with a Google app, is very well laid out. All your subscriptions and blogs that you follow are on there, so if you're connected to a computer, this is probably your best bet. It's the one I use from my laptop anyway. Check it out at www.google.com/reader .

Reeder- Reeder is available for the iPad and the iPhone and is soon coming for the Mac platform as well. As you can tell from the screen shot below, the App is very well laid out and is so easy to use and read. You can log into Google Reader from the app itself, so if you've got a whole bunch of blogs you are "following", they automatically all show up on here, by you just logging in. This was actually the App I used till a friend of mine mentioned the next one on my list and I decided to check it out.

Pulse- As mentioned above, I actually discovered this App only yesterday. I had heard a lot about it, but when a friend spoke of it yesterday, I checked it out while downloading other Apps for my iPad. I must say I instantly liked its layout, look and feel, and something about it made it feel so snappy. The App has apparently been made by 2 Indian boys while in college at Stanford, and it just is incredibly simple to use, and like I said, incredibly nice looking.
The rows that you see above (image taken from www.alphonsolabs.com) are different posts on the website, that one can easily scroll and read. I just played around with it a little bit, but I could immediately understand why this was the Number 1 App in the US iTunes App store for a while. Pulse is available for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices.

I hope this post was useful and if any of you want to share the Apps you use to follow up on sites and blogs, please let me know in the comments section below, as I wouldn't mind trying out others too. I'm also bringing my "Follow" box back out, so please do click on it if you are using any of the Apps mentioned above, or do want to be up to date on stuff I post. Thanks!
-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails