Thursday, November 11, 2010

My review of the Sony SLT-A55!

So if you saw my Diwali video here or saw my pictures from a dimly lit cigar bar here you'll know that I've been toting around my A55 with me all over town, and that a review was soon to follow. Well, here it is.
First let me start of by telling you why this camera has me (and a lot of other photographers out there) so excited. Sony has used a revolutionary technology in this camera, whereby they have used a translucent mirror in the camera instead of a mirror that flips to let light in, in normal dSLR's. If you're looking at these words wondering what language I'm speaking in, let me simplify it for you- dSLR's are those big clunky cameras people walk around with, and the A55 looks  like one but isn't really one, and in a lot of ways, is probably better than most dSLR's out there. The revolutionary technology I mentioned above and won't bore you with basically ensures that the camera is a lot smaller than other dSLR's in the market today, and while not being as small as say, the NEX3 and NEX5, is still extremely small for someone who wants to use something more hi-tech than those, and most importantly, is able to use the whole gamut of Sony Alpha lenses out there, without having to use an adapter, etc.
The camera has a 16.2 MP sensor, with it's also newly released younger sibling, the A33, having a 14.2 MP sensor. Both have a 3 inch articulating LCD screen, full video recording and ISO's up to 12,800.
Instead of getting into detailed specs, I urge you to go have a look at my pictures from the cigar bar and check out the amazing clarity in such low light. The Sony cameras have been using PHENOMENAL technology that allows them to take amazing pictures in dimly lit areas, which is great as I hate to use a built in flash on any camera. Even in my review of the NEX3, you'll be able to see how a picture of a plant in front of me that I had difficulty seeing with my naked eye, has been pictured perfectly with my camera. Yes, this camera takes great photographs, but where it REALLY shines is when it is being used to take video. A few minutes back I just tested the autofocus feature on the camera while sitting at my desk, to show you guys how quickly the camera adjusts and focuses. In layman terms, if you want to make a beautiful video of your kids with the blurry soft background that you see in movies and don't know quite how to get it, this camera does it for you automatically. Why that's a big deal? Other dSLR's require manual focusing, which means that while you're trying to hold still and not shake, you're desperately trying to manually focus the camera without jerking the movement to be able to focus into an object. Other Micro Four thirds cameras and EVIL cameras (like the NEX series or the Panasonic GF1 or Olympus Pen) also have automatic focusing, but are a LOT slower than this camera. Here is the video I took-


I cannot recommend this camera enough. It is the smallest of it's kind, and is probably more advanced than any of the Canon and Nikon offerings, only because of it's sensor that takes brilliant pictures in low light, and if you intend to shoot a lot of video, this camera is really a no-brainer.
If you want a REALLY in-depth review, I recommend checking out the one at DP Review who have the most accurate and detailed reviews of cameras and are usually the place people go to to check out reviews of cameras and lenses before buying. The SLT-A55 received a Gold award from them, which is the highest honour a camera could receive. I urge you to check out the camera when it's out and head to one of the Jumbo stores to look at it. I'm hating giving it back, and I know you will too!

The SLT-A55 is yet unreleased but do keep up to date with all the latest Sony launches by following Jumbo World on Facebook or Twitter

9 comments:

nelvin AD said...

hey kiran any idea when its gonna be out in dubai been having my eye on it since october :) holicon@gmail.com

Unknown said...

when is it gonna be available? im thinking of ordering online as i hear its gonna come out in dubai in march :(

Unknown said...

i hope it comes out soon in Dubai? Know when?

Kiran Chhabria said...

Guys sorry for the late response. The A55 will be launched end of February or beginning of March. The A33 however is already out and available at all Jumbo stores across the UAE.

T S Jayan said...

Dear Kiran,
Would you please let me know once it is available with Jumbo Dubai...? My email also the accessories...

Unknown said...

Hi please tell me when jumbo ppl r going to launch this camera , My vacation plans are gettin spoilt due to the delay pls inform

T S Jayan said...

Still waiting for this camera...when it will be available in Jumbo?

T S Jayan said...

Could you kindly let me know if Sony DSLR A580 will be available in the middle east? That model feels better than SLT A55...!!

T S Jayan said...

Could you please let me know whether Sony DSLR A580 will be available in the middle east or not? I feel A580 model is slightly better than SLT A55. Whats your opinion?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails