Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A poem of mine entitled "Fate"

Aah.. astrologers. I absolutely LOVE them! Whether they are in the avatar of palmists or tarrot card readers, leaf readers, face readers, Fortune tellers, Gypsies, Psychics or anything that can remotely tell me about what my future will hold, I want to go see them. Now a lot of people know of my mini obsession and ask me whether I REALLY believe in them. For me, that's not even the point. I will never visit an astrologer of any sort who is known to be the bearer of bad news, no matter how accurate he/she is. I want them to tell me my life will be great, blissful and problem-free! Most of the time, I use my faith in astrologers to quite an interesting end- I believe that if they DO have the powers to predict my destiny, then I have the powers to change that destiny if I'm not happy with it. Yes, I do believe in Destiny and do think some things are fixed events, but I also believe that we have the ability to change a lot of stuff around those 2 or 3 major events, and choose our own way and our own path to get us there. Makes sense?
A few years back I was torn between the idea of a fixed destiny and the idea of a person paving their own way in this world. My Father, who is popular for having his own "rags to riches" story (a phrase he hated incidentally, as he insisted he was never in rags) was a strong believer in Destiny too, but always said "There is no substitute for hard work." Yet, I was confused about what that meant, and wondered that if a person was meant to achieve greatness or wealth or whatever else is "written" for them, then why can't they sit in bed all day and wait for it to come to them? I asked the question to renowned Reiki Master and Writer, Paula Horan many, many years back on a visit of her's to Dubai and she explained it to me- "Life is like a Play... for it to go well, you need to Participate!" I've never forgotten those words.
Ok so back to the topic of astrologers... no wait... this post is about my Poem. I wrote this a few years back and just like most of my poems, I don't really know why I wrote it or what the inspiration was (they sort of just come to me). I'm sharing it with you now, as I'm quite excited to meet a Tarot reader sometime over the next few days who has been the only woman in my life who, a few years back, was able to predict most accurately, what would happen in my life from then on. I only met her once, and despite me trying to see her a WHOLE bunch of times, it hasn't happened till now. I'll elaborate more when it happens, but till then enjoy this funny piece I wrote that I call, "Fate." Of course no part of this poem may be used or copied or anything, blah blah... Hope you enjoy it.

"So how is it I can help you dear?"
This was the fourth one of the year
Palms had been peered at, leaves had been read
Crystals looked into, now cards would be spread.
"Talk," she continued, "and have no fear."

"We're obviously here to see what the future is holding!"
interjected my mother, almost scolding,
Nervously glancing round the barely lit room
Trying not to breathe in the cheap perfume
I see her gape at the moulding.

"What it is you want to know?
You think the question and I will show"
She shuffles and deals with an easy grip
Not often seen off the Vegas strip
"Aah," her eyes widen, "Here we go!"

"Money! Lots of money! It is your fate!
You make it big! You will be great!"
"Yes yes," said my mother, "That is all fine!
But my daughter, you see, is almost twenty nine
Please tell me, will she loose some weight?"

"The wait is over! You will see!"
"You sure?" asked my mother, looking over at me
"A boy will come! Handsome! Kind!
Oh yes... A very good boy she will find!
Millionaire too! In USD!"

"I promise" She continued, "I not lie!
Three months, I promise, you will have guy!
Few weeks I challenge, and he will come
If not, money back! I give whole sum!"
Across the room, a rat scurried by.

-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails