Saturday, May 15, 2010

The girl that inspires

There are a lot of things that I want to learn how to do- some are attainable, some I'm working on, and some, I don't think possible. I look at kids these days, and am so jealous of the interesting degrees they are taking in college like visual communications or fashion journalism- they sound so much more fun than the Marketing major I chose for myself. Another "would love to, but think it's too late for me" activity is riding a Harley. I know I don't look like the typical Harley girl (no tattoos and piercings!) but I'd absolutely love to own one, or even settle for knowing how to ride one. Unfortunately, I never learnt how to ride a cycle when I was younger, so think that might never happen for me either. And the final "definitely too late"one (or so I thought) is the ability to play the piano. I LOVE the piano, adore the elegance of it, love the sound of it, and have "piano in the forest" or "piano with rhythms of the sea"CD's that I listen to while going to sleep.
A couple of days back my friend Piyali posted a video of her daughter Oona playing the lovely instrument. I was mesmerized by the young girls fingers gliding over the keys and was hooked to the hypnotic melody that she played. I asked Piyali how long she had played for, and told her about my longing (and inability) to play. She told me Oona had been learning for three years, and with commitment and dedication had come a long way in this short period of time. Three years!! The girl sounded like a child prodigy to me! So I figured, in three years if I can play something this difficult and sound so good, I will be the happiest piano player on earth, and so I went and signed up with her teacher. I start Tuesday.. I can't wait!

Here is the video of the very talented 12 year old Oona playing the tune "Morning has Broken," which she has very kindly agreed for me to post. Isn't she just incredible? Thanks Oona for being my inspiration :)

2 comments:

fm said...

your comment on interesting college degrees brought back memories of something which really fascinated me at one point of time.. Masters in Entertainment Technology offered by Carnegie Mellon university. Imagine being a certified Master of Entertainment!!! That has to be one of the coolest things in the world!!!
Alas my pursuit ended as soon as I decided on the tried and tested Engg..MBA combo. However the degree has always kind of stuck in my head..but the most amazing thing about that is that it was the brain Child of Randy Pausch who died of pancreatic cancer in 2006. You can view his profile on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch
Also check out his truly inspirational speech about really achieving your childhood dream here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo
(its a longgg video but well worth the time)

Kiran Chhabria said...

Watched the video.. Read the book.. Cried when he died.
Was one of the most moving projects I've ever come across.. to leave that legacy for his kids!

Master of Entertainment- That's one I've never heard of before! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails