Monday, May 17, 2010

iPad 3G and Etisalat- FINALLY!!

A few weeks back (here) I promised to give you an update of the iPad 3G working with my Etisalat Micro Sim. After a bit of pain and venting on my Facebook page I finally got the two working and playing happily together! Here's what you need to know to do the same:
- Go to an Etisalat counter and have them issue you a Micro Sim for your iPad. The service is called the Al Tawam Service, which allows you to use two Sim cards for the same and existing phone number. The Sim cards are regular sized ones, with Micro Sim's built into them, which you can pop out and then use with ease in your iPad or other devices.
- To use the second Sim, you need to have a 3G data package already existing on your phone. I, for example, was paying Dhs 395 for a 10 GB data package on my iPhone already, so that data limit can now be split between the two devices.
- If you do NOT have a 3G data plan existing already, you can apply for one for Dhs 99 for unlimited data for 3 months
- This does NOT work with Blackberry. Once again, I have tested it with a Micro Sim for my Blackberry (as I was getting mixed reviews as to whether it would work or not). It DOES NOT. What it DOES do is give you the option of applying for 3G on your Sim (which has the BB package) for the additional Dhs 99 per month.
- If you didn't quite let that sink in, the Dhs 99 promotion is for 3 months only. That could mean that after the 3 months the price goes back to 395, in which case you have your Blackberry package that you are already paying for PLUS the additional Dhs 395
- If you are intending on buying an iPad, work on getting your Micro Sim today. They are sold out almost everywhere, despite what @EtisalatUAE on Twitter says.
- Do NOT listen to the guys at the Etisalat Counter. If they try to convince you that your existing Blackberry service will work, they don't know what the hell they're on about. And if they tell you that your current 3G package WONT work and you have to spend an extra Dhs 99- well- they don't know what the hell they're on about. Remember the pain I talked about earlier? I'm trying to save you some of it!
- When you finally do manage to get your iPad 3G (Stocks available at Jumbo by the way!) and your Micro Sim in the same room, insert the Sim into the device and wait for the 3G signal to show up.
- When you try opening a website, it will say "cellular data not configured" or something to that effect. Don't panic. Go into settings, click on Cellular Data and then change your "APN settings". Your APN is "etisalat.ae." Try using your iPad to browse now- it should work! Reboot your device if it does not, and it should work now!
- Although my WiFi only iPad worked flawlessly, I noticed my 3G iPad froze my Safari screen when I first inserted my Micro Sim. This only required me to reset my device again and it worked fine from then on, and I haven't had any problems yet.
- I can't remember whether I had any problems charging my previous iPad via USB, but this one just isn't charging. This seems to be normal too I think. Will go home and check whether I have any such problems with my iPad and my Mac. My WiFi one charged flawlessly with it.
- On this forum here there seemed to be a frustrated User complaining about having a faulty Sim. I don't think it is faulty as much as him not having entered the APN settings, or ordering the correct data package on his Sim card. Follow the instructions, and you should be fine.
Good luck and let me know how you guys get on!

Jumbo Electronics now has availability of the 3G iPads- Get yours before they sell out!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Well i also bought the micro sim card with a new number from etisalat and changed the apn as i found it on the google. It just worked once then i dont know what happened it stopped working. I saw your blog and you also told the same thing but it didnt work.what would be the reason.? I inserted MNET in apn and user and password also but it says that you do not have a data service activated. Can u also have a look. Thanks

Kiran Chhabria said...

If you read my post carefully, it says to insert "etisalat.ae" in the APN settings... everything else remains blank.

Let me know how you get on

Nan said...

Hey Kiran! Ordered my iPAD 3G today..Can't wait for it to arrive!

Jason said...

Thanks so much! I only found your blog after buying a new iPad 3G & new SIM. Couldn't get the data to activate & Etisalat said they can't help as they don't provide support for the iPad. Entered the APN settings as you advised & worked instantly. Thanks :)

Kiran Chhabria said...

Hi Jason,

Glad the post helped :)

Unknown said...

Dear Kiran ,
Really Appreciate you.
it is very useful and your presentation is like a teacher and student....anybody can easily understan.
thank you.
pls. post how to print pdf file from ipad.

thank you best regards
Sharief ,Bekal

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kiran for the useful information, i'm enjoying my iPad :)...

Ma'en Qudeimat
AUH,

M Square said...

KC, this arrangement does work, but there is an issue. While using the Al Tawum (twin SIM) cards, only one is active at any time. Which means that while your iPad is active on 3G any calls to your mobile will be "rejected" even though the other SIM is in your phone.

Please let me know if you find a way out of that.

*[The only way out I see is to get a new "data only" (voice disabled)SIM from Etisalat @ 99 / month for a 10GB package.]

thanks & keep up the good work!

Kiran Chhabria said...

Yup.. workaround would be to get data only Sim.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiran,

I just got my iPad 3G today. I bought the Tawaam micro sim as soon as it was lunched (knew that it will disappear later).

Thanks for your advise on the APN. it worked with me.

I have the AED 99 package on my iPhone and now will be shared between both.

Have to questions:

First, do the remaining of the monthly 500 Mb that is not used get accumulated?

Second, how do I know or monitor how much data I used on both devices so I don't exceed the 500 Mb limit?

Regards
Nabil Al Nakib

Kiran Chhabria said...

no it doesn't get accumulated.
As for the second part of your question, I don't know.. sorry.

Mayank Garg said...

Thanks Kiran for running us through the experience and common pitfalls we might face.

As for Nabil's query regarding the monitoring of data, its quite simple to do so. Just go into 'Settings' -> 'General Settings' -> Tap 'Usage' and by adding the Sent and Received numbers you'll get the usage of your cellular data. To convert bytes to kb, divide by 1024 and so on and so forth for kb to mb and mb to gb!

Hope that helps! Cheers!

Kiran Chhabria said...

Thanks Mayank for that tip

Unknown said...

awesome blog you have here, I usually get my gadgets from sharaf dg, but after reading your blog I am making plans to drop by jumbo.
would you know if the ipad 3g would work with: iphone 32gb Postpaid Plan 1? that's the one with 2575aed upfront for the iphone3gs and 99aed/month for 500mb data and free sms/calls too. In your blog you've only mentioned that it works with 3.5g mobile broadband unlimited plan (395aed/month). and would my iphone postpaid plan work with the iphone 4 too? thanks :)

Kiran Chhabria said...

qwinkan, Thanks for the kind words.
I haven't been in Dubai for a few months, so I don't know if the iPhone4 is launched there, and what plans they are on. You'd have to contact Etisalat for that.
Postpaid plans- Don't know for sure, but I don't think it would work. Again, Etisalat would be your best bet.

Anonymous said...

Hi peeps,

Important comment regarding al taw am from etisalat. You do NOT need to order a data only sim from etisalat to get it to work on your iPad. Here's how it works. Both sims using the same number can make outgoing calls and utilize the data package simultaneously. For incoming calls, only one phone can receive calls. There's a way to control which sim is the one that receives calls. Let's say you have the two sims, one in an iPhone and the other in an iPad. Obviously you'd want all calls to go to the iPhone. To do that, simply dial *149*1# from your iPhone and you will receive a text saying that this phone is your primary receiver of incoming calls on your number. Comes in really handy if you have two phones with the same number. You get to interchange phones by using that command to activate incoming calls and texts on any phone you like.

Vinay Kittur said...

Hi Kiran,

Hreat job with the Blog.. very impressive and elaborate.

I have a small doubt !

I have 2 phones Iphone 4s and Blackberry 9780. i want to make use of this tawam Service from Etisalat in such a way that all the calls and sms are recieved and made from m iphone and my BB must be used only for emails and browsing, is it possible and wht will it cost me ?

Kiran Chhabria said...

Sorry you'll have to contact Etisalat for that

neha mushtaque shaikh said...

In tawam service I can recieve a incoming call on both mobiles at the same time

neha mushtaque shaikh said...

In tawam service I can receive an incoming call on both sim at the same time or I will receive only on one sim card

Rosibel said...

i have micro sim from etisalat..but my ipad3 3g dont work..i cant make a call nor send sms...plz help ..

Rosibel <

Rosibel said...

hi Kiran,
i have micro sim from etisalat i inserted it to my ipad3 3g...now i cant able to call nor sms...my APN is etisalat.ae..but still i cant call nor send sms..pls help!

Rosibel<<

Kiran Chhabria said...

Oh dear!! You can't use an iPad for calling or SMS'ing!! It doesn't have the capability to do either!

mahrob said...

Hi Kiran,

This is a really informative post! Got rid of my initial purchasing jitters!

I am planning to buy an ipad mini, and it looks like I can use Tawaam service.

I would be most probably going for 1GB monthly package as it suits my needs at the moment. What I was wondering, how do we recharge the data package once its over? Like on on an IPhone, we would add 100Dhs to our account and just send a message to enable subscription.

So in case of using Tawaam service, how would we recharge the data package? I will be using data only on ipad mini and phone will be for incoming/outgoing calls and messages.

I could have asked this from etisalat folks, but I am sure from your experience, you would know how painful is that!

Once again, fab work on the blog, will be a regualr visitor from now on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails