Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bling$ Bling$

While browsing the magazine section at the Borders store in MOE, I cam across this amazing magazine. The photographs in it are so artistic yet beautiful, that while I subscribe to and buy way too many magazines each month, I had to indulge myself and buy this one. I say indulge, as the magazine is in French, and apart from being able to stare at the pretty pictures, I wasn't able to justify the hefty price tag in any other way. Still it's been such fun to gaze at the images and dream of one day making paintings of them.. after I complete my Angel series that is! 

The following article took me back a couple of years to when I was being shot for a personal article in a local magazine and was sent in a couple of questions by them to answer. They were the standard questions asked by magazines, like "who is your favourite designer? How do you describe your style? What is your favourite hangout in Dubai?" etc. I was young, and did exactly what any self-respecting interviewee would do when posed with questions that are supposed to represent their personality to the world- I lied, and told them what they wanted to hear, rather than the truth. I mean, how interesting would I have sounded had I told them my favourite social event of the year was catching the midnight show of the Harry Potter movie on opening night? (True story). One question had left me particularly stumped, which was "What is your favourite jewelry designer?" I knew everyone would have the standard Cartier/Bulgari/Boucheron responses and I wanted to sound different- knowledgeable, exclusive (if one can be that) and downright fancy. So of course I turned to the most knowledgeable, exclusive and fancy person I knew (in the fashion department that is), my sister Komal, and asked her what I should say. "Joel-Arthur Rosenthal," she said without even needing to think about it. "His jewelry is to die for." "Whoooooo?" was my response. After a quick google search and some digging, I soon found out, and completely shared her view.
In the magazine they've taken the "icones joaillieres" of recent times, and recreated their looks  using pieces by other designers. And of course, JAR is the first one on their list!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails