Sunday, April 11, 2010

Introducing, The Blog Corner- The Photodiarist

 Such is the welcome into the Photodiarist's world. When people say, "a picture speaks a thousand words" they really MUST have taken a peek into the works of the diarist. Each photograph captures amazing beauty and intensity, my favourites being those of people captured unawares. The pictures are posted daily, all in black and white, with a link to a few stunning images in colour that are sometimes the originals of the one on the main site. The first time I ever visited the blog, I discovered a set of pictures taken of the new windows at Bergdorf Goodman's in NewYork. There were very artsy and looked like they were two digital photographs merged over each other to give a very funky collage effect. I emailed the Diartist to find out what software was used to create this effect, only to realize it was the reflection of the nearby buildings and trees on the mannequins in the window that gave it that look. I also found out that while a Canon 5d Mark II was used to take the rest of the pictures, these ones were taken with an iPhone!

I found the Diarist one day, while going through comments on the blog site of the Sartorialist. On clicking on the link provided, I was so moved by the images I saw that I couldn't help but returning daily, to the point where this blog has become one of my favourites. As I mentioned before, I emailed the Diarist to find out about the equipment used to take the pictures, what camera I should get, how I should learn, what lenses I should use, what settings... You get the picture. For a short while there, the Diarist probably woke up each morning (at home in New York) to an annoying email from me asking for photography tips. Still, I got patient and prompt replies to every query, gently nudging me towards going out there and taking more pictures, and probably hoping to discourage me from asking more questions in the process! Our correspondence got me wondering about the protagonist of the blog and everyday I tried to go into the pictures and the archives to see whether the "beholder of the eye" was male or female? Young, middle aged or old? White or African American? In one of my final emails, I took a guess about what (or rather, who) I thought the Diarist was behind the lens.. and as luck (and my powers of deduction) would have it, I was completely wrong!

Have a look at the blog here.
See the photographs of the windows here, here and here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails