Saturday, April 17, 2010

iPad vs Kindle in Dubai

Sometime last week, a friend of mine asked me on Facebook which I thought was the better reading device- the iPad or the Kindle. "How much you'll be reading on your device I think dictates which one you should get," was my non-committal response. My argument, on just receiving the iPad was this- the only USP the Kindle had over the iPad was the ability to read on it without hurting ones eyes. Since the iPad had the Kindle store on it, it didn't really matter which books were available through the Apple iBooks store and which ones were available through the Kindles. For the Kindle, you'd also have to have the Global Wireless Kindle, which doesn't ship directly to Dubai (you can order it through Aramex Shop and Ship though) and doesn't allow for a UAE account to work on it. If you DO have a US credit card though, the Kindle DOES allow for over-the-air book downloads in the UAE, despite Amazon saying the UAE does not come under the list of supported countries. I have checked with someone who does own one, so I'm sure there are no problems on that front. However, with a Wi-Fi connection, you could download Kindle Books on the iPad wirelesly as well, without any problems. So after giving her the pros and the cons of a Kindle vs the Kindle store on the iPad, I told her that if she wanted a device just to read books on and not watch movies or do other fun, the Kindle was the way to go.

A couple of days back I called her to eat my words. "Do you read a lot of magazines?" I asked her. "Not really," was her response, "Why?" Zinio, my friends, is why. While surfing the App store, I came across Zinio, which I had encountered once a couple of years back, and had downloaded on my computer. The whole idea of the desktop application had been that I could download whole magazines on my computer and read as per my convenience. While I was impressed with the application, laptops then weighed a couple of kilos and I was hardly about to lug one around to read my magazines on. Zinio however is an application MADE for the iPad, that was launched at least five years too soon (which is when I saw it, I'm sure it's been around for much longer than that), and the iPad was the device MADE for Zinio, that was launched five years too late. On downloading the application, I was instantly directed to a list of some of my favourite magazines, and the option of buying and downloading them directly on my iPad. O (the Oprah magazine), Marie Claire, Cosmo, Elle, Us Weekly, National Geographic, The Economist, Business Week, etc, where all available for instant gratification. I decided to download the Harper's Bazaar for $3.99 (or a very reasonable $8 for 12 issues) which probably cost as much as the print version in the US, but a lot less than the version in my local Spinneys. As you can see from the picture above, reading the digital version was exactly the same like reading the print version, and in some cases, even better. With multi-touch I had the ability to pinch and zoom into the fine print of the magazine without having to squint, and with a click of a button on a URL mentioned, could be directed instantly on websites listed or brands and prices mentioned! This included the websites listed on the ads of the magazines. Speaking of ads, the digital version also included all the ads, so I could "flip" through the pages the same way I would of a "real" magazine, or could go on the menu below and scroll my way through the tiny thumbnail images of the pages, to reach the one I was looking for. If you "open up" the magazine and are eager to read the cover story, all you have to do again is reach the index page and click on the cover picture, and boom (to borrow Steve Jobs' favourite word) you're there. The picture below shows the same page above in landscape mode, along with the ad that appears alongside it.

Zinio is hardly the only application to get me and others to switch to reading on my iPad. I believe content and app providers for the iPad have till now only scratched the surface on the kind of things they are going to get the device to do. The Huffington Post called the Alice in Wonderland App, "the pop-up book of the 21st Century." The description of the App in the store listed some of these features-
"Tilt your iPad to mke Alice grow big as a house, or shrink to just six inches tall. [...] Throw tarts at the Queen of Hearts - they realistically bounce off her. Witness the Cheshire Cat disappear, and help the Caterpillar smoke his hookah pipe."
Here is a video of the App in action!




UPDATE: Also check out the Guardian Eyewitness App for the iPad. It contains the most recent 100 photographs from their Eyewitness series. Very cool.

12 comments:

Tez said...

As mentioned to you! Do you really want the death of paper books. PLus some people like to cheat and go all the way to the end of the book - You cant do that on the Kindle. Infact you cant even tell what page you are on!

Kiran Chhabria said...

You can't tell the "page" number as you can increase or decrease the font as per your viewing pleasure! You cannot do that on a regular book! But you CAN go to the end of a book and you can tell how much you've read and how much you have left based on the dots at the bottom of the page.

And if paper books have to die, they will die without me encouraging people to buy and read on an iPad. I WISH my blog had (or will have) the power to shape the future of our lives, but as of now you're probably the only one even reading that post! And that too coz you knew it was coming and wanted to bitch it out! ;)

M Square said...

Interesting read....

BTW, the Kindle does not require a US valid credit card. Once you buy the kindle at Amazon, (& ship through Aramex S&S), your UAE Credit Card used for the purchase can be 'registered' as an open tab for future purchases / downloads.

As for iPad, yes it is a tad heavy to be read lying down in bed, but its versatility sure outweighs the Kindle by tons. But buying an iPad is not as easy, since Apple does not ship to P.O. Boxes and they do need a valid US Credit Card :-(

Kiran Chhabria said...

Thanks for letting me know about the credit card. When I got my first Kindle a couple of years back, they did not allow to use any other card but a US one, which is why I had to buy gift cards (on a friend's US account) and pay her cash for the subsequent amount. Things have obviously changed!

As for the iPad availability.. you can go to any Jumbo store and buy one now.. in the next few days we will even have stock of the 3G device. Will in fact be posting about that today or tomorrow so stay tuned!

David said...

How do i buy the Kindle app for the Ipad here in Dubai?

Kiran Chhabria said...

Buy it via the US itunes store.

ray said...

hi
kiran pls
tel me which is better kindle2 or ipad for reading books
and r both of them avaliable from jumbo

Kiran Chhabria said...

The answer to your question is sort of the point of this post- it depends on how you will use it.

The iPad is available from Jumbo, whereas the Kindle is directly from Amazon.com

Unknown said...

Nowadays, credit cards are widely used by a large number of people across the globe. Dubai is a country which is considered as one of the richest countries in the world. According to a study, the per capita income in Dubai is very high as compared to various other countries. Because of the number of rich people there, the credit card holders are also in high numbers.

The major advantage with credit cards in dubai is the convenience as they can be used anywhere including pubs, restaurants, hotels, and retail shops etc. You don’t need to carry cash with you every time. This is a kind of plastic money.

There are numerous banks in Dubai that offer different types of credit cards. Diners credit card is one of the most popular financial instruments that are used in Dubai. It holds a special place for a number of credit card users in Dubai. One major feature associated with is that it is approved by ATO. Therefore, you can also use your account statement of this card as tax invoice.

There is no pre-specified limit attached to this credit card. Moreover, it is pretty much easy to apply for a diners credit card in Dubai. Even you can apply it online. You can also renew your card through Internet.

Kiran Chhabria said...

Erm, thanks for that info, i think?

No guesses as to which company you work for!

raze said...

Hello
Stumbled across your post while randomly searching the interwebs for info about the kindle fire in the middle east. I wasn't able to make ANY purchases on the device when i bought it back in Sept '12. I even called up Amazon in the US and they told me that I have to use a credit card with an address registered in the US so that ruined it for me. Wondering if anything has changed? Apple is just far too expensive, but the blackberry playbook at AED 750 was a fairly good buy considering I use it just to do a little reading and to view/edit presentations and it does have a couple decent apps if you're looking to buy the latest titles, magazines, newspapers etc..

Unknown said...

Just let me know whether Souq.com is safe to buy Kindle?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails