Sunday, April 04, 2010

Interesting read on Mrs Roy

The April edition of Inside Out this month, published a look inside the home of Mrs Seemita Roy, artist extraordinaire. Mrs Roy doesn't only have art displayed from every square inch of her walls, she has enveloped herself in it, adding her own unique touch to every piece of furniture or item in her home. Be it her painted tables, her scribbled-on (by friends) bar or her chandelier with pieces of coloured crystals added onto it, each nook and corner expresses her personality and her art. My own relationship with Mrs Roy goes back over two decades, way back when Mr Roy used to work with Jumbo and I, as a little girl, expressed to my parents my keen interest in art. I was sent to Mrs Roy's house for art classes, where in her dining room, and as years went by, in her kitchen, I learnt to sketch Da Vinci, paint a la Hussain and decide, for myself, if I was a Picasso and Paresh Maity lover or hater (love, hate).I can safely say any of my artistic ability or keen eye for art today is due to both, good taste from my mother, and a passion for the subject from Mrs Roy. She has always encouraged her students to find their own "voice" and pursue their dreams and many have gone on to art schools in Paris, London and New York and are established artists in their own right. While she revels in their successes, their only complaint is her inability to market her OWN art, which as you can see in the photographs, is stunning. I'm so happy to see Inside Out has been able to coax her into showing Dubai her work. Click on the pictures below for a larger size of the scanned article.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails